What was Honda THinking - Fan Fuse

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the 84 Standard, the fuse block is different from the 87 Interstate...

84:

87:

Something is missing...

84 Fan Motor Fuse:

The frustrating part is that this is located on the left side of the frame tight against the frame and under the seat. Not too big of a deal if everything is working fine, but when does that ever happen? Last weekend while I was on the road to Virginia, the temperature gage started to climb in some stop/go traffic. No problem, I reached down and flipped my over-ride switch to turn the fan on... nothing. Hmmm. :headscratch: That's odd. 1/2 mile to a Rest Stop, so I rode the shoulder to get to the Rest Stop and start looking things over. I quickly find out that there is no power making it to the fan motor. :sensored: I must have blown a fuse. No problem, I have a spare!

The only issue is that in order to get to it, I need to remove the seat. In order to remove the seat, I need to remove saddlebags and the bag strapped to the back seat. Pretty soon, it looks like I am having a yard sale in the Rest Stop parking lot. :head bang:

Okay, so now everything is removed and I replace the fuse, and sure enough that fuse blows also... oops, I have a bigger problem now as there is obviously a problem with my wiring AND I no longer have any more spare glass tube fuses. Now to get to all the wiring, I need to pull the faux tank and the radiator covers. Quickly, the top of my trailer is covered with parts and tools and it looks like there is some serious surgery going. All this just so I can cut a few wires and install a few butt connectors. Then I simply jury-rigged a fuse, with a few strands of copper wire until I could get to the campsite where I would need to tear it all apart again, and the fan was running just fine. :clapping:

What should have been a 10 minute fix turning into a two hour repair. :fiddle: Not any more.

When I got home, I picked up an ATC in line fuse holder then installed and re-routed it so that the fan motor wiring fuse now matches the rest of the fuses used on the bike AND is also easily accessed by removing the left side cover.

Why didn't Honda do this in 1984? :head bang:

They were thinking that the set-up would last just past the warranty period. After that, it's someone else's problem. That, and engineers and designers make the decisions on where to put stuff...not someone who knows how hard it might be to get to this or that while sitting on the side of a road....in traffic....in the rain...at night... :head bang:
And now you've corrected it....Good job!! :clapping:

Same problem on the 1500. Fuse/relay box on the left side is stuck in behind the friggin saddlebag. In order to get to the relays, you have to actually unbolt the whole goldang thing from the frame, and fish the box and wiring out from behind the saddlebag... :rant:

Just think, the 1100 doesn't even have a fuse on the fan! :shock:

Part of the reason I chose to build a modified fuse/relay panel to correct many of those issues with the 1100.

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203492#p203492:3m0ltzl1 said:
joedrum » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:22 pm[/url]":3m0ltzl1]
Lol ...this sounds like a joedrum rant about some of Honda finer details :BigGrin:

Oh... I was ranting as I was sweating in that rest stop parking lot.. :rant: