What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203178#p203178:a9m407di said:
AApple » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:53 pm[/url]":a9m407di]
Got out this mernin with Willie(Nelson), and checked the brakes on the 1500. Rear pedal has been feelin a lil mushy. Pads on both ends are still healthy, so figured I'd just bleed, and see how that worked. Never could get a really solid pedal, but it certainly feels better than it did. Gotta be some "trick" to bleeding the front caliper, since the fluid has to go from the master down low, up to the steering head, and then back down to the caliper. Seems like that would certainly trap quite a bit of air if the system ever got any in it, no? We'll see how it works Monday. Bike stops ok and all, just don't like the mooshy pedal. Might wind up getting some braided steel hoses to "fix" that problem.... :builder:
Maybe a vacuum bleed set up to pull the fluid to the caliper?

Not a big fan of using vacuum to bleed anything with a lip type seal in the system, as the master cylinders on these things have. Too easy to draw air right past the seals. Pressure bleeding, however, is the way to go.

Anyway....brakes felt purdy good this mernin, so I'm good, for now. :BigGrin:

So yestidy, I spent most of the mernin cleaning the durn thing up.....been a lil lax on keepin it clean lately, just too dang HOT outside! :heat: So, it was all nice and purdy for the ride in this mernin, but apparently, Mother Nature thought it needed a lil more cleanin, so she sent me a really great RAINSTORM to ride in, you know.....to get some of the spots I missed. :rant: :head bang: I got soaked. Wadn't too bad until I hit the dadburn school zone with 3 traffic lights....all RED, of course. :Awe:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203159#p203159:3el5rlw1 said:
Ansimp » June 1st, 2018, 11:37 pm[/url]":3el5rlw1]
The Rats Nest failed to proceed for its weekly run to Springwood Suzuki. Pressed the starter button and no solenoid activation, pulled the side cover and started to check or bypass it. Decided as I was running late that Val would be the quickest option and went with an extra 2 cylinders. :yes:
There was a new VJMC member with a freshly rebuilt rotary in his Suzuki RE5. :good:
Unfortunately I didn’t get any pictures! :doh:
From Mr Google

The RE dash is one of the coolest, ugliest , Innovative, stupid, etc. dash attempts ever tried, and never duplicated to my knowledge. I guess there is a reason for that.

image.php

I think you described it perfectly Jack. Hopefully it will be at our coffee run tomorrow and I will get a photo.

Well before the temp got too warm, ate breakfast at The Switch, in Cool, TX. Nice 76F temp, in Cool.

The%20Switch%206_18%20small.jpg

Just a quick 120 miler. Got a little warm on the return

Put the 1/4 turn fasteners in both lower side covers after painting them a couple days ago. Need to pull the speedometer and clean/lubricate it. Not looking forward to peeling the ring off of it. Already did the tach, and t was quite tedious, but needs to be done. Also need to build an new upper front brake hose. Received the hose and ends from Revival Cycles today.

I mounted a new front tire today. I got 16500 miles out of the Michelin but I made a switch for several reasons.... the Commander only comes in 130/70 18, and the price has gone up a good bit since i got the last one. I've been following a Goldwing Darksider page on Facebook and after hearing nothing but good reviews of people running a Bridgestone BT-45 rear tire on the front I decided to give it a try..they come in the proper (120/90 18) size. I only had a chance to put a few miles on it before the storm hit but it handles fine. I ride 4-5000 miles a year tops so it should be good for several years.....we'll see!

Replaced my aftermarket floorboards and shifter with stock that I got from BrianinPA. My cousin is coming to visit end of the month and he's uncomfortable using the aftermarket setup. I bought the bike in the fall of '89 pretty much as it is today (see gallery pix) and it sure looks odd to my eye now. I'm riding to work this AM so I'll see how long it feels odd. :moped:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203441#p203441:d1xsyjbx said:
D-50Dave » June 11th, 2018, 5:59 am[/url]":d1xsyjbx]
Replaced my aftermarket floorboards and shifter with stock that I got from BrianinPA. My cousin is coming to visit end of the month and he's uncomfortable using the aftermarket setup. I bought the bike in the fall of '89 pretty much as it is today (see gallery pix) and it sure looks odd to my eye now. I'm riding to work this AM so I'll see how long it feels odd. :moped:
I thought I would give a ride report. The short answer is that I'll be putting the 'boards back on as soon as my cousin's plane leaves the ground. The stock 'pegs leave my knees at a more substantial bend (an important consideration, at my age) than the floor boards. My feet are higher off the road and slightly towards the rear. The first half hour I had to learn to stick my left toe farther inboard to catch the shifter, kept whiffing out wide. The heel/toe aftermarket shifter is an acquired taste, but I've been with it near 3 decades, my foot knows what to do without thought.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202944#p202944:2x0kvtgu said:
D-50Dave » May 21st, 2018, 7:05 am[/url]":2x0kvtgu]
Been like JoeDrum and doing much house work this spring. Finally started putting the new windshield on. Had to remove the speakers to get at the "stay put" nuts that don't. LED lights for the center gauges (3 out of 4, one didn't have enough room for larger bulb). I've ordered a new toggle switch that I've added to turn off the clock. Weather so crappy this year that even though I'm behind on having the bike ready to ride, I haven't missed out on much riding.
Ride report on the replacement windshield. The SlipStream brand replacement is an inch or two lower than stock and I love it! The edge is now comfortably below eye level and yet I get no wind buffeting on the helmet. I even like the way it looks better.

This morning I backed her out of the garage, warmed her while donning gear, and took her for a 6.4 mile loop through the valley. Yowsa, I don't remember this kind of kick from my '77 GL1000. Once she passes about 3500 RPM, I must be hanging onto the grips with BOTH hands! The bump at the back of the seat came in handy! Feels like it weighs much less than my '77 did. Although she is still a bit rough at lower RPM, man was she nice when wouud out. Even managed to get her through all 5 gears, but never fast enough for 5th (or even 4th) to feel that happy. Tires are 13 years old and I can feel how hard the rear is when using the rear brake. The front is much better, but may still need another bleed. Won't be riding her more until July 12th, when the insurance on her starts (changing to Dairyland along with my GL1800) - bu-bye again, Flo!

You guys won't believe it, but I left the garage on my '78 this morning at 2AM. Car is in the shop for major AC work and I had an obligation in Buckeye. Even at that hour, it was hot out (86F), but it felt good compared to current daytime temps. Six hours and a 120 mile round trip later, I was back home.

Mission accomplished...it was in the mid 90's when I got home and rising fast - hence the early departure.

Nice performing motorcycles, these old GLs. And one that's bare bones is ideal for just this sort of back and forth errand.

EDIT: No, it was not a drug deal... :smilie_happy:

Flushed the cooling system on the 84. Jumped on the 87 and the handlebars were heavier than normal... turned out the valve stem broke. Pulled the rubber one off and put a metal one on.

I rode mine over a LARGE racoon. He came out of the long grass at the side of the road, no time to react.. The front end bottomed out with a bang and the bike wobbled at that was all. Thank goodness these are heavy bikes...... I pulled some fur of the bottom of the motor when I got to work...
I got lucky...

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=203557#p203557:2hceer45 said:
Ohara » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:09 pm[/url]":2hceer45]
I rode mine over a LARGE racoon. He came out of the long grass at the side of the road, no time to react.. The front end bottomed out with a bang and the bike wobbled at that was all. Thank goodness these are heavy bikes...... I pulled some fur of the bottom of the motor when I got to work...
I got lucky...

I had a similar experience with a possum once. GS1000 - still a heavy bike. Although I closed my eyes, gritted my teeth and prepared for the worst, it was pretty much a non-event. Barely felt it. But, I'm pretty sure that's not always the case. I was lucky too.