LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently June 17th, 2018, 3:54 pm
Who Is Online: DaveKamp, jpwinger, tinman38 .... 3 guests
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » General Discussions » General Forum

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5191  Unread postPosted: June 11th, 2018, 1:59 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 566
Active Topics: 183

Total Images: 5
Local time: June 17th, 2018, 7:54 pm
My Bike Models: 1981 Interstate
1981 Twinstar

Profile Personal album

Replaced my aftermarket floorboards and shifter with stock that I got from BrianinPA. My cousin is coming to visit end of the month and he's uncomfortable using the aftermarket setup. I bought the bike in the fall of '89 pretty much as it is today (see gallery pix) and it sure looks odd to my eye now. I'm riding to work this AM so I'll see how long it feels odd. :moped:

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5192  Unread postPosted: June 13th, 2018, 3:45 am

Site supporter

1981 Twinstar

Profile Personal album

Replaced my aftermarket floorboards and shifter with stock that I got from BrianinPA. My cousin is coming to visit end of the month and he's uncomfortable using the aftermarket setup. I bought the bike in the fall of '89 pretty much as it is today (see gallery pix) and it sure looks odd to my eye now. I'm riding to work this AM so I'll see how long it feels odd. :moped:

I thought I would give a ride report. The short answer is that I'll be putting the 'boards back on as soon as my cousin's plane leaves the ground. The stock 'pegs leave my knees at a more substantial bend (an important consideration, at my age) than the floor boards. My feet are higher off the road and slightly towards the rear. The first half hour I had to learn to stick my left toe farther inboard to catch the shifter, kept whiffing out wide. The heel/toe aftermarket shifter is an acquired taste, but I've been with it near 3 decades, my foot knows what to do without thought.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5193  Unread postPosted: June 13th, 2018, 3:50 am

Site supporter

1981 Twinstar

Profile Personal album

Been like JoeDrum and doing much house work this spring. Finally started putting the new windshield on. Had to remove the speakers to get at the "stay put" nuts that don't. LED lights for the center gauges (3 out of 4, one didn't have enough room for larger bulb). I've ordered a new toggle switch that I've added to turn off the clock. Weather so crappy this year that even though I'm behind on having the bike ready to ride, I haven't missed out on much riding.

Ride report on the replacement windshield. The SlipStream brand replacement is an inch or two lower than stock and I love it! The edge is now comfortably below eye level and yet I get no wind buffeting on the helmet. I even like the way it looks better.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5194  Unread postPosted: June 14th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 408
Active Topics: 10

My Bike Models: GL1800 ('06)
GL1000 'project'- '78 with '75 motor
Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250
Ex 68 TR6C Triumph (chopped)

This morning I backed her out of the garage, warmed her while donning gear, and took her for a 6.4 mile loop through the valley. Yowsa, I don't remember this kind of kick from my '77 GL1000. Once she passes about 3500 RPM, I must be hanging onto the grips with BOTH hands! The bump at the back of the seat came in handy! Feels like it weighs much less than my '77 did. Although she is still a bit rough at lower RPM, man was she nice when wouud out. Even managed to get her through all 5 gears, but never fast enough for 5th (or even 4th) to feel that happy. Tires are 13 years old and I can feel how hard the rear is when using the rear brake. The front is much better, but may still need another bleed. Won't be riding her more until July 12th, when the insurance on her starts (changing to Dairyland along with my GL1800) - bu-bye again, Flo!

"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5195  Unread postPosted: June 14th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1272
Active Topics: 82

Total Images: 44
Local time: June 17th, 2018, 4:54 pm
My Bike Models: - '97 Valkyrie Bumblebee Tourer that Honda never made!

- '78 GL1000 - custom and evolving

- '79 CBX-Z - a work in progress

Profile Personal album

You guys won't believe it, but I left the garage on my '78 this morning at 2AM. Car is in the shop for major AC work and I had an obligation in Buckeye. Even at that hour, it was hot out (86F), but it felt good compared to current daytime temps. Six hours and a 120 mile round trip later, I was back home.

Mission accomplished...it was in the mid 90's when I got home and rising fast - hence the early departure.

Nice performing motorcycles, these old GLs. And one that's bare bones is ideal for just this sort of back and forth errand.

EDIT: No, it was not a drug deal... :smilie_happy:

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5196  Unread postPosted: June 14th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Global Moderator
Site supporter

Total Posts: 6495
Active Topics: 521

Total Images: 258
Local time: June 17th, 2018, 3:54 pm
My Bike Models: Current Lover
1993 GL1500 Aspencade
Past Lovers
1979 XS 850,
1975 GL1000,
1982 GL1100 Interstate

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Started her this morning for the first time in seven days. It's about 111f outside right now. :heat:

~O~

Did you check the angle of that dongles' dangle?
...Glo-Wing!...
"George Merriweather{VegasWingnut}" is da MAN!
....................Image.......................

............."Classic GoldWings Forum"...............
.........We think Outside of the Box here

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5197  Unread postPosted: June 14th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Site supporter
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 5812
Active Topics: 164

Total Images: 371
My Bike Models: 1984 GL1200 Standard - 18,000 miles

1987 GL1200 Interstate - 61,000

Profile Personal album

Flushed the cooling system on the 84. Jumped on the 87 and the handlebars were heavier than normal... turned out the valve stem broke. Pulled the rubber one off and put a metal one on.

Brian
Retired US Navy 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5198  Unread postPosted: June 14th, 2018, 5:09 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 223
Active Topics: 10

Total Images: 7
Local time: June 17th, 2018, 5:54 pm
My Bike Models: 1986 Interstate
1986 Aspencade

Profile Personal album

I rode mine over a LARGE racoon. He came out of the long grass at the side of the road, no time to react.. The front end bottomed out with a bang and the bike wobbled at that was all. Thank goodness these are heavy bikes...... I pulled some fur of the bottom of the motor when I got to work...
I got lucky...

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5199  Unread postPosted: June 14th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1272
Active Topics: 82

Total Images: 44
Local time: June 17th, 2018, 4:54 pm
My Bike Models: - '97 Valkyrie Bumblebee Tourer that Honda never made!

- '78 GL1000 - custom and evolving

- '79 CBX-Z - a work in progress

Profile Personal album

I rode mine over a LARGE racoon. He came out of the long grass at the side of the road, no time to react.. The front end bottomed out with a bang and the bike wobbled at that was all. Thank goodness these are heavy bikes...... I pulled some fur of the bottom of the motor when I got to work...
I got lucky...

I had a similar experience with a possum once. GS1000 - still a heavy bike. Although I closed my eyes, gritted my teeth and prepared for the worst, it was pretty much a non-event. Barely felt it. But, I'm pretty sure that's not always the case. I was lucky too.

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5200  Unread postPosted: June 15th, 2018, 3:21 am

Site supporter

1981 Twinstar

Profile Personal album

I got lucky...

I had a similar experience with a possum once. GS1000 - still a heavy bike. Although I closed my eyes, gritted my teeth and prepared for the worst, it was pretty much a non-event. Barely felt it. But, I'm pretty sure that's not always the case. I was lucky too.

I'm pretty sure that's not how the possum would describe the encounter. :smilie_happy:

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5201  Unread postPosted: June 15th, 2018, 4:22 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 826
Active Topics: 80

Local time: June 17th, 2018, 6:54 pm
My Bike Models: 78 GL1000
84 GL1200I (parts bike)
84 GL1200I
85 GL1200I
86 GL1200A

Profile Personal album

Agree that is not what the opossum said in his report.

He called it a hit & run, said you never looked back to see how he was.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5202  Unread postPosted: June 15th, 2018, 4:25 am

Global Moderator
Site supporter
knocker

Total Posts: 9569
Active Topics: 296

Total Images: 1055
Local time: June 17th, 2018, 6:54 pm
My Bike Models: Restored '82 Standard GL1100 (with '83 engine) Hondaline bags.
'81 GL1100 - Gave up the ghost to give life to the '82!
1st bike '81 Suzuki GN400

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
EDIT: No, it was not a drug deal... :smilie_happy:

:smilie_happy:

Gerry <///><

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5203  Unread postPosted: June 15th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Site supporter
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 5812
Active Topics: 164

Total Images: 371
My Bike Models: 1984 GL1200 Standard - 18,000 miles

1987 GL1200 Interstate - 61,000

Profile Personal album

Rode my 87 to my parents house so I could take my mom to the hospital... it seems my dad decided to day dream while riding his Helix and lost control in a turn. Looks like it's time for the 75 year old to hang up his helmet...

The good news is, he only has some back and neck pain. The bad news is, looks like I am adding a slightly damaged Helix to my fleet. Not quite the way i wanted to get it.

Brian
Retired US Navy 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5204  Unread postPosted: June 15th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Site supporter
Single Carb Club
C5 Club

Total Posts: 17677
Active Topics: 185

Total Images: 1718
My Bike Models: A bunch in the works

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Glad he’s all right

thank god and hooch im gone

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5205  Unread postPosted: June 15th, 2018, 6:10 pm

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14803
Active Topics: 151

Total Images: 112
My Bike Models: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

Glad your Dad will be okay Brian. As for me. I haven't had time to fix any of my stuff. Been working on the 80 for the new owner and riding the Valk as much as I can.

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently June 17th, 2018, 3:54 pm