1975 GL1000 speedometer problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence954

Reaction score
For quite a while, my speedometer would occasionally admit a high-pitched whine especially when cold. After a short period the whine would go away. Now the speedometer has quit working. I have disassembled it and couldn't find any obvious problem. I used a drill to spin it and it moves the needle and the trip meter. When I reassemble it and test it on the bike it doesn't work. I know the cable is good. And the pin down at the hub that turns the cable also turns when I roll it forward. The needle on the speedometer moves when I spin the cable with a drill down at the end so I don't understand why it won't work attached to the hub. Any ideas?

For quite a while, my speedometer would occasionally admit a high-pitched whine especially when cold. After a short period the whine would go away. Now the speedometer has quit working. I have disassembled it and couldn't find any obvious problem. I used a drill to spin it and it moves the needle and the trip meter. When I reassemble it and test it on the bike it doesn't work. I know the cable is good. And the pin down at the hub that turns the cable also turns when I roll it forward. The needle on the speedometer moves when I spin the cable with a drill down at the end so I don't understand why it won't work attached to the hub. Any ideas?
It turns out I was wrong about the Tang down at the hub turning. I replaced that drive several years ago when I had the same problem but I kept the old part. Funny thing is, I can get the tang on that old part to spin when I rotate it with a pin. So I guess I need to figure out why the wheel won't turn them.