Bike acts like it has a rev limiter in around 5000 rpm

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen this a few times myself that cutting out running rich at 35-4500 rpm has been the air jet for the main jet plugged up, the one under the plastic piece under the slide.

Well today I took carbs off I chamfered the area where the carb throat and vacuum piston intersect, swapped one vacuum cap/piston do to it being just a bit slow to lift .Also i did find one of the air jets under the little plastic cap was indeed blocked thanks to Dave mentioning it so hoping this is my problem. Never before have I seen an air jet clog so this will be a first so guess as soon as the rain lets up in our area I will take for a test ride. While not a wonderful thing having to take carbs off again it is nice to find something wrong instead of guessing , this bike really has me stumped mainly because I could not find anything at all until today . So keeping fingers crossed

Well hallelujah it's finally fixed she runs perfect now so if their is anyone with this particular issue this is what fixed it I chamfered the bore where the slide and carb throat intersect, also the air jet under the plastic cap was partially blocked ( something I've never seen as long as I've been working on bikes only heard of . Then I blocked off those pesky air cutoff valves I usually don't tell people I do this because this tends to make peoples underpants get twisted, however you just turn your idle mix up about a quarter turn to eliminate the afterburn. Trust me there are no ill effects all they where made for was to eliminate popping during decel because of how lean the 80s carbs were do to EPA . Also do to no OEM Honda cutoffs being made anymore the aftermarket ones are inferior so just block them anywho the bike runs like a dream thanks to all the ones suggestions. Ride safe

Congrats! Glad to hear the problem is finally resolved! Gotta remember this is 43 year old equipment and minors issues can cause strange problems. They are easy bikes to work on, but sometimes I think we forget they are nearly considered antiques!

Latest posts