Cam seal issue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derrick woods

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Gl1000
So I'm Having an issue with the left head cam seal leaking I've replaced it twice I think it might be due to the cam sitting in further on that side as you can see in pic 1
IMG_20230604_190036580_HDR.jpg
the right head does not have this issue but as you can see the cam sticks out a bit more allowing the seal to ride better.
IMG_20230604_190102477.jpg
Has anyone else had his problem? The only thing I know left to do is file the back lip of the seal down to make it more thin to allow the seal to go back further into the head. And yes I've tried 2 different seal companies

Attachments

• IMG_20230604_190107434.jpg
    IMG_20230604_190107434.jpg
    988.6 KB · Views: 0
Whenever I had a leak with those seals I cleaned the seal and mating surface with brake cleaner and applied high heat silicone, the orange stuff then let it set a day to cure. Never had a problem after.

Whenever I had a leak with those seals I cleaned the seal and mating surface with brake cleaner and applied high heat silicone, the orange stuff then let it set a day to cure. Never had a problem after.
It don't leak out the journal side it leaks where the cam rides if you notice the seal sits further out on the left head pic 1

This may not be the case, but...
Seems someone once mentioned a seal having grooves on the inside of the mating surface and they were designed to drive oil into or out of the mating surface by which way they were installed. Could the seal be installed inside out?

This may not be the case, but...
Seems someone once mentioned a seal having grooves on the inside of the mating surface and they were designed to drive oil into or out of the mating surface by which way they were installed. Could the seal be installed inside out?
No seal is installed correctly

IMG_20230608_164647707_HDR.jpg
So I found these seals they are Japanese made very high quality made for VTEC engines they are 8 bucks a piece hoping this will solve my problem the other seals I had had less then 300 miles on them and were already hard as a rockIMG_20230605_190656950.jpg

I have an 87 Interstate with oil leaking into the timing belt area. Can the seals be replaced with the cams installed, or do the cams have to be removed?

View attachment 49551So I found these seals they are Japanese made very high quality made for VTEC engines they are 8 bucks a piece hoping this will solve my problem the other seals I had had less then 300 miles on them and were already hard as a rockView attachment 49552
View attachment 49551So I found these seals they are Japanese made very high quality made for VTEC engines they are 8 bucks a piece hoping this will solve my problem the other seals I had had less then 300 miles on them and were already hard as a rockView attachment 49552
Where did you buy these,can you attach a link,I need those seals also.