GL1000 soft start question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsphcarswell

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1978 GL1000
Hello all,
I have a new to me all stock 1978 GL1000 with pretty low miles that I bought from a Honda mechanic. I have previously owned two mid 80s GL1200s and one 82 GL1100 and I am used to a crisp start with only a bump of the starter on these other models when cold. A hot start on these other bikes was a little less solid but still reliable.
This 1000 seems very puny at start up even when cold. Always starts but just not as sure of itself as the newer 1100 and 1200 models i have owned. My question is - Is this normal for these vintage Hondas with a points and condensor setup or should I work for better performance? No complaints it always starts, idles, and runs fine but seems to feel a little hesitant on cold and hot starts alike. Almost like it sneaks into running instead of the BAM and go I am used to.
Battery is new (LiFeP04). Belts are new. Plugs are new. Carbs were cleaned and synched.

Pretty common on the six I've owned. Electric fuel pumps seem to solve the issue for those that this bothers. It just takes a few seconds to fill the fuel bowls with the mechanical pump. I never noticed a difference between points and electronic ignition on this.

Pretty common on the six I've owned. Electric fuel pumps seem to solve the issue for those that this bothers. It just takes a few seconds to fill the fuel bowls with the mechanical pump. I never noticed a difference between points and electronic ignition on this.
Good to know - but aren't all of these models using basically the same mechanical fuel pump?

HI JSP. Just confirming what others have said. I also own a 78 GL1000 and it took a long time to get used to it just sounding like it was starting without enough energy particularly after I had not ridden it for a few weeks. I did the electric fuel pump upgrade so that I can prime the carbs if it has been standing for more than a couple of weeks, and run it with Marine Fuel Stabilizer and now it starts up strong everytime.

Thanks all I appreciate the input. No point in chasing some ghost in the machine then. I will likely leave it original.
Although...I always keep an electric pump in the bags for an emergency - maybe it's time to wire it up?

A small portable manual air pump, like a sports ball inflator, along with a rubber ring to seal it to the gas tank opening when used, is fine to "prime" things when the bike has been sitting without the extra complication of an electric pump.

A small portable manual air pump, like a sports ball inflator, along with a rubber ring to seal it to the gas tank opening when used, is fine to "prime" things when the bike has been sitting without the extra complication of an electric pump.
Or a good battery and starter motor. First start of each season (I run dry and drain float bowls for storage) require about five cycles of ten second crank, thirty second cool before she fires. Through the season, rarely more than one cycle is needed after weeks of setting, and after that it fires within a few seconds.