Stoopid question? (tail light)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is my tail light supposed to be on at all times(while running)? While checking my signals yesterday mornin, I noticed the tail light only comes on when braking. Is the bulb supposed to be on and then get brighter when braking? Just wondering if I could get a ticket for not having the license plate lit at all times.

~O~

Mine has two 1157(LED) bulbs, and one of them dims out all the time. A quick kick or slap usually gets it back on. It's not the bulb itself, it's the danged socket.
If your taillight is not on at all, then that would mean both bulbs are not working. Do you know if the brake lights also don't work at the same time the taillights don't work, or is it just the taillights?
The fact that it works sometimes, and sometimes doesn't leads to a wiring or ground problem back there.
This :builder: usually helps!
:smilie_happy:

My usual approach is to spray the light sockets with WD-40 to rule out corrosion, then coat the contacts with dielectric grease. I have no experience with LED lights.