Throttle return springs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilidawg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize most all Single carb conversions are custom in a lot of areas, and mine is no different.

I'm using a Weber DFT that works great... but I just wish I could find a throttle return spring that doesn't give me right hand cramps after 3 miles of riding.

These days it seems I'm either rebuilding it, testing it or I'm on a 3000 mile, 10 day binge ride and it hurts like hell the whole d@mn time.

In the past I have spent hours in Ace hardware trying to get my head around springs, I must have bought 20 or more to try out. Some I tried where so strong I couldn't operate the throttle, some would not spring back they where so weak, the one I ended up with is fine for test revving the motor and all that stuff but for actual riding. Sucks.

Now I have learned a lot about springs, diameter, material, length and wire gauge all play a part in selecting the right one. But....

Has anyone got a shortcut I can use? A rule of thumb trick that I need to know, or perhaps photos of good systems that you all use.

I'd be looking forward to the end of this rebuild a lot more if I knew I'd be riding pain free.

Thanks Fella's.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210561#p210561:1y8b95sf said:
chilidawg » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:06 am[/url]":1y8b95sf]
I realize most all Single carb conversions are custom in a lot of areas, and mine is no different.

I'm using a Weber DFT that works great... but I just wish I could find a throttle return spring that doesn't give me right hand cramps after 3 miles of riding.

These days it seems I'm either rebuilding it, testing it or I'm on a 3000 mile, 10 day binge ride and it hurts like hell the whole d@mn time.

In the past I have spent hours in Ace hardware trying to get my head around springs, I must have bought 20 or more to try out. Some I tried where so strong I couldn't operate the throttle, some would not spring back they where so weak, the one I ended up with is fine for test revving the motor and all that stuff but for actual riding. Sucks.

Now I have learned a lot about springs, diameter, material, length and wire gauge all play a part in selecting the right one. But....

Has anyone got a shortcut I can use? A rule of thumb trick that I need to know, or perhaps photos of good systems that you all use.

I'd be looking forward to the end of this rebuild a lot more if I knew I'd be riding pain free.

Thanks Fella's.

I love the two cable system so even if your return spring fails you can still throttle down. I would be trying to adapt something so that you can return to the twin cable system. :yes:

hmmmmmm on my DTF carb chilli there are three springs or maybe it’s just 2 ..that work the throttle plates...they are so positive working I use nothing else at all ..the coil wound operation of them make them the best way a spring can work to best with less stress set up possible ..I use nothing but the weber linkage ..though the throttle lever hook up is slightly modified ...I use just one cable ...it’s basically mounted to the frame of bike and easy to adjust ...even this set can be a bit rough on the throttle hand but not bad ...and I do love the throttle lock I have on my bike for long trips

I do use a 2 cable system but it still needs a return spring, don't it?

The spring I use now has overcome all the throttle lock systems I've ever tried to use.

Maybe I'm just doing this wrong, that's why I'm reaching out.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210579#p210579:jd3h4zgt said:
chilidawg » Yesterday- 13:32[/url]":jd3h4zgt]
I do use a 2 cable system but it still needs a return spring, don't it?

The spring I use now has overcome all the throttle lock systems I've ever tried to use.

Maybe I'm just doing this wrong, that's why I'm reaching out.

Once you get used to MPP( manual positive position) control and not the nanny state fatwa mandated return spring you'll never go back :BigGrin: Back in the old days, yes I'm old, many bikes I was familiar with didn't have return spring from the factory. Of course it helps to never let your bike take nap with the engine running and the MPP at cruise speed setting :oops:

I fake it on my BMW with a throttle twist tension thumb screw. But a two cable should be fine to MPP return.

Disclaimer: this is what I do, what you do is all on you!

My throttle spring is a bit tight. Using a Crampbuster on the throttle grip makes a world of difference. No issue hold throttle at any speed and controlling the pressure on my wrist.

image.php

You can see how far I had this silver one on my throttle grip:

image.php

Latest posts