Why Not the 30-2Pict carb????

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnB1953

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been interested in this topic for quite awhile . I built a GL1100 trike for my son a couple years ago out of a rolled Triwing 1100.and in the process ended up with enough parts to build another 1981GL1100 . I need carb work and am very interested in the single carb conversion.I have a homebuilt VW trike and have run the pict 34 carb and on the new motor I built this last winter I used a reman pict 30-2 . It is much simpler to tune and adjust and is working well on a 1641 single port motor. So has anyone tried this combo or am I going to have to go it alone so to speak? I welcome all input. Thanks JohnB

The picts work good if its a real solex.seems the guys tryin picts are using aftermarket/ebay carbs are the ones having issues

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210799#p210799:3jeueeg6 said:
Dusterdude » Today, 5:04 am[/url]":3jeueeg6]
The picts work good if its a real solex.seems the guys tryin picts are using aftermarket/ebay carbs are the ones having issues

This is KEY!

I think one can buy the intake there no issue, but stay the flipflop away from the carbs on fleabay they are garbage. I was reading VW people (on their VW forums for the solex carbs) having issues with the fleabay version on their classic bugs too, so don't trust them or the sellers unless you are willing to just spend a lot of money "trying" and being frustrated as I did. I eventually got it tuned up and ran well but had to do Joe level reconstructing of the carb via soldering ports and micro drilling them and finally were usable. In the end I choose to go back to stock, as I prefer the stock set up, as I later discovered for my taste. I did enjoy for a little time the science of building the carb to replace the carbs, but there came a time I wanted to ride it, not work on it.

My 34PICT install is going good. Just went on a 1000 mile weekend. Still making a few changes but overall satisfied.

Running a 50 idle and 130 main jets now, but no real test time on that set-up yet.

Aims for the future, better gas mileage {got about 30-32 at 75mph} and working around the change in performance with altitude change.
Probably start keeping a carb screw setting log for easy resets to sea level. That is the one advantage a CV carb has.

Considering a 30PICT as a possibility, maybe...
Wouldt it be nice to find a single CV carb to take a shot with?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210804#p210804:hj2rfbx2 said:
FlipFlop » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:18 am[/url]":hj2rfbx2]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210799#p210799:hj2rfbx2 said:
Dusterdude » Today, 5:04 am[/url]":hj2rfbx2]

This is KEY!

I think one can buy the intake there no issue, but stay the flipflop away from the carbs on fleabay they are garbage. I was reading VW people (on their VW forums for the solex carbs) having issues with the fleabay version on their classic bugs too, so don't trust them or the sellers unless you are willing to just spend a lot of money "trying" and being frustrated as I did. I eventually got it tuned up and ran well but had to do Joe level reconstructing of the carb via soldering ports and micro drilling them and finally were usable. In the end I choose to go back to stock, as I prefer the stock set up, as I later discovered for my taste. I did enjoy for a little time the science of building the carb to replace the carbs, but there came a time I wanted to ride it, not work on it.
:good: :clapping:

Good luck ..dialing in the carb is a challenge...very few adjustments on this carb ....only one I messed with dial in nice ...and can’t remember what year 1100 it was ...gearing and load on motor is big factor ..idle is the place to get right first I’d say ...good luck

On my 34, my final jetting is a 50 idle, 132.5 main and 60 WOT.
This is at sea level on a preheated manifold that picks up more heat from the coolant crossover tube that has been wrapped with insulation with the manifold.

I need to get the screw turn numbers together.

Also added a 1/4 inch phenolic insulator between the carb and manifold.

Wow Thanks for the info I do have a rebuilt PICT 34 that I run on my VW powered trike. Right now I have issues with a faulity cam on a engine I rebuilt for the trike so my GL1100 is going to have to wait a while. But hope to send off the pict 30-2 this winter to re rebuily by Tim at VolksBiz.

Well, I rebuilt the 30-2 Solex, and put it on the GL1000. It ran really bad, no idle, and sounded like there were some vacuum leaks.
I pulled everything off, carb, manifold, intake runners, and I filed and sanded every surface to be as flat as possible. I don't have a mill, but I put some 440 sandpaper on a flat steel surface and polished every mating surface, including the heads where the runners bolt.

I made new carb base gaskets with that rubber/fiber material from the auto parts store. I also put new O rings on the intake runners, and softened the rubber on the stock runners with brake fluid.

Put it all back together, and . . .

It still won't idle.

It pops through the exhaust all through the RPM range.

:help: :beg:

I know that there has to be a solution to this! The Solex is a simple design without all the EPA bull added to it.

The only jets are the Main and an Air Correction jet. The cut off valve is the only other thing on it. I tested it, and it works.

The main jet has X116 stamped on it. The air correction has T25Z stamped on it.

HELP! Please keep me from giving up on this bike and going out and buying a 90's Sportster! :beg:

Wow that sucks. The only thing I have heard with the solex carbs that the shafts can wear and that lets them suck air. That is why I sent mine to Tim at Volkz Bitz .he rebuilds them and when you get them back they look like new carbs. He has done a PICT34 and a PICT 30-2 and I will be sending another PICT 30-2 for my GL1100 when I get started on it .www.volkzbitz.com John

The key to dialing a carb in ..is basically finding out where it does run or idle right ...as idle is very important..it has to be good there to come off idle good when throttle applied ....way back in the day when I was working with my dft carb 32-34 ..I tricked it using the choke plates to get it to run right and knew right then that I was dealing with something that was way better than the stock cv Honda carbs and never looked back ....when it comes to VW single barrel carb and so few adjustments this is somewhat a disadvantage...the oldwing motors have quite a bit of rpm range ...like in stock Honda carbs there usually a spot they don’t perform great and stumble a bit ....

If idle is the bad spot you have ...there has to be a way to mod it there to get it to idle ...there has to be ...the concept of getting the right charge to idle is not tabo Vudo ....on my dft I had to create my own idle circuit ....that involve cutting the gas feed down and bringing in more air ...it took both those moves to get it ....I’ve never worked with solex much ..but from everything I seen and read they usually don’t get into the 40 plus mpg range ...this tell me they are not dialed in super well ....80%of all riding is done in this range and where a motor can get bad mpg ....my DFT and modded motor did not just match up and dial in ...but I will say ..being a two barrel progressive carb eventually it had had something for every rpm possible ...

If you tried everything you can in carb adjustments ...the next step is to mod it ...what can you hurt it’s not working as is ..go for it

I have since switched to a solex 30. Been dialing it in, changing jets, get a nice 1Krpm, sometimes a little lower.
Got a little more to do, but I have a nicely running machine. 1000 miles a couple weekends back, should run about 1200 more next weekend!

127.5 main jet, 65 air correction jet. Gonna play with the 2 air jets on the side.
Sea level here.

Also, if you go to play the jetting game, most I have been able to find come from Italy! So buy a few around your guesstimate.

Nothing wrong with that really ..its plug color that's important at idling that matters most ..probably a bit rich still but that could be air quality of the day ..gas charge is mostly air ...when your close no big moves really ..hot days are different than cool and so on