The Single carb mod, the truth is out of the closet

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
It has been a long road for us here at CGW sifting through the BS about this mod.
Some of which were outright lies, many were intentional wrong information and half truths to steer guys building on it in the wrong direction.
Many were building with too large of a carb and starting from a plenum design (Cycle Innovations) that is believed to have worked as advertised. This is not true.

This mod really is very simple but it has been made very complicated by big words and guys trying to massage their ego's trying to position themselves as final authority by posting big words and complicated formulas. Captain Midnight, I hope your reading this.

As with any mod there are bugs to work out but I can say with confidence that the single carb on top of the VW plenum and jetted properly, exceeds the stock OEM rack.
This fact too has been stomped by those looking to make a buck other places.

Look, no more headaches with......

1. Sticking slides.
2. Uneven fatigued slider springs.
3. Leaking O rings, pinched O rings.
4. Leaking plenum gasket.
5. Leaking float needles.
6. Hydrolock
7. Jets that plug after 2 months sitting.
8. Complicated and tedious cleaning.
9. Synchronizing.

I could go on but one thing that's eliminated for me that I saw the most improvement in is vacuum leaks, specifically at the throttle plate shafts of the OEM carbs.
Once I dropped that single on the plenum and bolted it down, the spit back into the carbs so common on my bike was a thing of the past.
It quite literally pushed me to the point of not wanting to ride the bike.
It made a flagship Model Honda product a POS and was a very big disappointment to me.
I now look forward to riding it.

The throttle response is smooth an silky like a Goldwing should be without the delay of slides.
Cold starts are a bummer without a choke but that I plan to come up with a solution.

The single carb is a very worthwhile mod.
I'm happy with it and soon will have 2 stock 1100 racks for sale.

There has certainly been no hit to performance by using 1" I'D runners like I have done.
Sustained wide open throttle under full load at high rpm it definately is not being choked down like has been said by others.
In fact, I believe the 1" runners is why it Idles smooth and doesn't load up after reving and drop back to idle.

We will continue to correct the years of wrong and mis-information here at CGW put out on the internet and forums about this mod just like we did with the c5 ignition and the fat headed individuals that think they know it all and can't accept advancements being done for improved performance.
When the next advancement comes along, we will do the same.

Now to just get in the final step. A formula for a plug and play setup. Follow steps 1 though --- whatever. Bolt in place and ride. The biggest variable on the table now that I see is all the different runners that have been tried. I think probable the most repeatable with consistent results would likely be the grab bar runners. This combined with the vw plenum and the 32-32 carb using these _______ jets. Bolt it on and ride.

for us new folks, what is this part about? in particular "various participating members are taking credit for my labors"

I believe.... that I hit the nail on the head in tuning my manifold. So much so that another Forum and its various participating members are taking credit for my labors within a dedicated sub-forum.

from what i think i understand, the author has been banned from a few wing forums and has made other derogatory remarks towards what seems like nothing more than the efforts of others?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102983#p102983:1iecvsfv said:
82a » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:41 pm[/url]":1iecvsfv]
for us new folks, what is this part about? in particular "various participating members are taking credit for my labors"

I believe.... that I hit the nail on the head in tuning my manifold. So much so that another Forum and its various participating members are taking credit for my labors within a dedicated sub-forum.

from what i think i understand, the author has been banned from a few wing forums and has made other derogatory remarks towards what seems like nothing more than the efforts of others?
WOW, where is that coming from? I cannot find it in our threads anywhere?

a google of the words (and whole quote) leads to the author

more and updated
Am I so notoriously accomplished with my conversion that another Forum can dedicate threaded mention of my postings here in quotes? I'd feel honored if I were a Narcissist but, ...I feel ripped-off. Forward we move...

:0fftopic:
Otay fellers...let's not make a left turn here....the thread is not meant to head in that direction. :yes: :thanks:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102950#p102950:2p89mdn0 said:
dan filipi » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:22 pm[/url]":2p89mdn0]

i like what westgl calls 'em ......"cod catchers" :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103003#p103003:2h6cuxuz said:
82a » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:15 pm[/url]":2h6cuxuz]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102950#p102950:2h6cuxuz said:
dan filipi » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:22 pm[/url]":2h6cuxuz]

i like what westgl calls 'em ......"cod catchers" :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:
Well I'm hoping they catch a couple hundred dollars each on ebay.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102999#p102999:1fmrtt3q said:
AApple » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:56 pm[/url]":1fmrtt3q]
Otay fellers...let's not make a left turn here....the thread is not meant to head in that direction. :yes: :thanks:
doesn't mater much to me, dude must not know that new folks don't have a clue what he is talking about, and because of the way he communicates, care even less about whatever point he is trying to make, or beef he may have with whoever

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103006#p103006:3oi6jt1c said:
82a » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:24 pm[/url]":3oi6jt1c]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102999#p102999:3oi6jt1c said:
AApple » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:56 pm[/url]":3oi6jt1c]
doesn't mater much to me, dude must not know that new folks don't have a clue what he is talking about, and because of the way he communicates, care even less about whatever point he is trying to make, or beef he may have with whoever
:smilie_happy: ain't that the truth! :thanks:

well for sure I know the intent here for this thread was to actually expose by name the number cause of single failures as capt discount ...not to just be little this guy ..but we have left this deceiving hot air ballon way back down the road and are into curing the bs statement of the weber 740 series and dft dfta carb are good right out of the box ....I know that my bike and mechanical skills will out run and last anything that runs on hot air paper wrap tech god of totally discount of others ...

then theres others who set there and claim all this knowledge ..and try to sale the story that Honda techs perfectly matched these carbs to oldwings and it just impossible to do better...

what bs ..the stock racks are a nightmare of design flaws and stupid engineering goals that were all met...by making one of the last nails in the coffin to carbs with such a lousey carb set up ...that quite frankly was easy to beat ....the weber is like a round wheel and the Honda carb rack is a square that just don't work good at all on its best day period

so here on this forum this kind of bs hot air discount and just plain adgenda driven lies wont be tolerated here

truth is here at CGW we have taken on two issues in the last yr that has just turn out fantastic ....

the c5 ignition we took on here ... as it was obvious to me and others was a huge ungrade promise for oldwings ignition woes ..that are every bit as bad as the stock Honda carbs ...and it has turn into huge success in its goal of bringing the worlds best ignition to oldwings ...adgenda driven discounters were everywhere trying to derail this product as that was going on we also tackled the carb issues of the oldwing ... and with all the people making claims of superior knowledge and secrets in the reality of yrs of failure strikes me as just total incompetence of skill ...any measure of skill without common sense is useless ....

I have to credit hooch here ... once the c5 was install on this monster ...it became clear not any of mother Honda carb setups were going to reliably run this bike far at all ...so it became mandatory to find a carb set up that was competent .....

in the process we have made the two most horrible flaws in the oldwing as good as the motor is .....this was huge ...it was fast ... and here on classic we don't allow idiots with adgendas or fat heads of ignorance derail things .....

its a disservice to members as in the whole picture to allow such stuff in any measure .....

let the fools run there mouth elsewhere for whatever goal it is or adgenda just not here ... I personally like to ride my bike that's like an entirely new bike one that will stand toe to toe with new stuff out there easy

all I can say is when you get whats around the oldwing motor as good as motor you really have one of the best bikes ever built and the oldwing owner was and is the final builder that made the bike what it is ...no trophy or title comes close to that at all :mrgreen:

I can't sit back and not say anything in response to this statement.

Look at my manifold.
Look at Joe's manifold
Look at all the other manifold idea's so far.

None of them resemble his.

Truth is as far as the chokes Joe is using, Joe had the idea long ago and was ridiculed by CM for it.
CM later admitted to having them or something very similar inside his runners! :smilie_happy:

This guy doesn't have any control over new ideas like he thinks he does.
We here are for the bike's and helping each other out. I don't know what his intentions are.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102982#p102982:5idkfqfz said:
slabghost » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:30 pm[/url]":5idkfqfz]
Now to just get in the final step. A formula for a plug and play setup. Follow steps 1 though --- whatever. Bolt in place and ride. The biggest variable on the table now that I see is all the different runners that have been tried. I think probable the most repeatable with consistent results would likely be the grab bar runners. This combined with the vw plenum and the 32-32 carb using these _______ jets. Bolt it on and ride.
Hey guys, instead of sitting back and waiting for others to invest their time, efforts and money, we all need to do the same to come up with that plug and play design and what those settings need to be.

My design is unique.
Dialing it in has taken many many hours, buying parts and jet bits, many hours and gallons of gas testing and is still continuing.
This is a group effort.
Let's see more doing the same eh?

Dan,as you and i have been pm'ing,im buying the same carb you have tonite and im going to build a sheetmetal plenum/intake manifold.this is going to be a slow process so ya'll bear with me

dan filipi":213z5qry said:
My design is unique.

That's gunna be the big problem with getting a true "bolt on" set-up.....everyone so far, has different set-ups, whether it be the intake, or the runners, or carb....if folks all make their own runners out of different pieces, then there will be no ONE set-up that will be the cat's meow for all engines. Gotta find more common pieces between the multitudes, somehow. I think, if ya'll can get the jetting down really close(as it seems you have on yours), the rest is minor.
:good:

Dan,i would love to use a type 4 intake but try as i might.i cant find one anywhere