first good icing test for hooch

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well the weather was good and crappy ...ground is saturated wet ...hooch got rained on bad ...55 degrees out ...an moist and cold 55 degrees ....

results hooch ...hooch cranked right up ....just like always ... as soon as carb fills fires right off ....this is early in the icing testing but i can say last yr in the same conditions hooch struggled to run good on bad weather days ... before i got the dft modded and dial in good ....it is starting to look like if your bike has icing problems its a indication of not dial in good ....ive never had a wing start up so great in these conditions

i am very pleased :yes:

well i am coming to the conclusion that is is just not good to incorporate stock intake horns in a single set up....just not a good setup with the orings handling tension or angles that compromise the sealing .....i persomally have seen to much here to as in failure stay good on both emds of the stock intake horns ...the bike i am going to work on will have stock intake horns but i am going to mod them to seal better ... so im on record as saying this is no way to do a single ...and maybe one of the biggest problems in singles since the 70s when they first came out ......to me its a fall short in design ...that put them all out of business ......is my opinion ....hmmm blue sky today will go for ride

But...did ya get a ride in this mornin in that temp, Joe? From what I see/hear, that's when this so-called "icing" issue comes into play, as the cool/cold air/fuel goes thru the plenum/runners. But I bet yer right...once the single carb is set up correctly, there shouldn't really be a problem with that kinda stuff. :yes: :good:

well im just going on how things went before ...when at idle it would load up and ice bigtime and would actually have to revv it to clear it ... when air content was down and full of moisture and the gas content was on the rich side ...i think a lot of that is the idle circuit on the carb was a mismatch and got better or more lean further in the carbs progression

Joe-joe, some of us live in very cold climates. (Wisconsin). I wanna see some frozen beards and rosey cheeks and you on hooch e mama doing 80. A selfie would be good. A little frostbite on your left hand...hell ya got 5 good fingers on the other hand.
Get on it son..inquiring minds need to know. Take one for the team.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133693#p133693:10qg5srr said:
tuna » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:12 pm[/url]":10qg5srr]
Joe-joe, some of us live in very cold climates. (Wisconsin). I wanna see some frozen beards and rosey cheeks and you on hooch e mama doing 80. A selfie would be good. A little frostbite on your left hand...hell ya got 5 good fingers on the other hand.
Get on it son..inquiring minds need to know. Take one for the team.
+1 :smilie_happy:

i am working on my dronewing that can go out in any weather while i sit in my Caribbean retreat with my joy stick watching it all while have icing problems in my drink in hand melting ....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133695#p133695:3pcmpgby said:
joedrum » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:04 pm[/url]":3pcmpgby]
i am working on my dronewing that can go out in any weather while i sit in my Caribbean retreat with my joy stick watching it all while have icing problems in my drink in hand melting ....
Now THAT'S wingin' it!

Maybe you could put the drink on the dronewing and after a couple of laps around the block it should have plenty of ice in it! :smilie_happy:

I'll be interested to see how this works for you, Joe. After a while at highway speeds. I'm betting it will be OK. I think the 2 - 1 adapter makes a big difference in atomizing the fuel.

I've got a valve on the coolant return line of my heated plenum and I've shut it off completely a few times, during rides, and the bike runs fine. And I've had it shut off and started the bike from cold and it runs good and idles nice.

It's getting pretty cool here now (10 - 15C highs) so will do a complete test: start and highway run with no plenum heat and see what that is like.

Brian

OK, I went for about a 30 minute ride on the freeway with plenum heat turned off. Couldn't tell an difference from heated plenum. Felt the plenum and base of carb when I got home, with engine still running, and it was room temp (not cold).

I should point out that the weather today is 20C (68F) so not really a cool weather test. The other thing is; the coolant return from my plenum is shut off but there is still an open connection to hot coolant so maybe the plenum is still being heated, somewhat.

Brian

ran hooch yesterday in 40 degree weather started right up ...and did the 2mile ride around the country block here ...no problem what so ever ... idle was hanging out at about 1000 rpm ....

today suppose to get colder and down in the 20s for tonight... we will see how it goes then

:clapping:
How cold is "too cold to ride" for you, Joe? I don't think "icing" is really a problem on these set-ups, even tho lots of folks say it is. I just don't see it happening, until ambient temps get down to the 30s. Granted...I don't have a single set-up, nor have I worked on one that did, so I'm just stating what I know from my automotive experience with carbs on all kinds of different cars. I think once the engine has some heat in it(and you stay well below 30,000 feet :hihihi: ), everything will work just fine. :good:
You've done some killer work and R&D on this thing....Kudos! :clapping: