carb heat

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes ive had a similar idea for awhile now ... and doing things slowly getting to my final mod of the weber setup ...witch is going to be a heated air intake system .. that can be adjustable ... good read ... one thing for sure a bump up for here is a exhaust driven turbo ...by there operation they heat the air ... and could bring more power to the table ...this is pretty much a dream .....i can already tell im at the clutches capability in power ..so i am thinking of heated air intake system to be best mod to do for hooch maybe some carb heat ....thanks for post its a good one

Seems an easy way to heat the air is to create an airbox for the filter and plumb a line to scavenge waste air from behind the radiator. Just my $0.02...

I kept my stock airbox for just such a mod, just havent gotten around to it yet.

well ok guys my idea is a lot like this ....on hooch i have quite room behind the motor.....where the crossover exhaust is ...i am wanting to put in a T towards the carb ...put pipe there with cap on it ... enclose it with a duct work around it ...put rings pie like a ridiator uses to shed heat off an pipe it to carb ....in a enclosed airbox like this thread reads of ....

after working with this carb in the cold weather like i have been doing lately ..it seems to heating the air seems to look like the fastest acting way to concur icing and raw gas charge cause by noisture and air temp ... lets here some others ideas .....on air heat for carb

You have the best carb heat going right now. With the long vetter lowers closing in the sides and baffle removed you are heating the entire intake including carb and intake air.

yes i do......i am sure searching the limits of things ....something that was rather quick and helps warm up dose seem a good idea ... exhaust heat is quickest thing going on ... if something simple can be done and get huge benefits ...its worth hashing over good .experiencing things first hand ..i dont see passive radiator heat doing anything ... when it cold and just sitting it takes forever for the fan to come on ... this in my opinion wont do nothing for icing and warm up at it worse time ... to me a good heat exchanger ...air to air is the best theory to me ... it will heat the air .. the longer the exchanger the more the heat can be added....and a simple duct cut off can take it out of use ... to me simple and fruitful results is the plan in thinking for me :headscratch: :nea: :headscratch: :mrgreen:

with me going naked on my GL, I want to keep the covers/fairings/extra 'stuff' on my bike to a minimum....maybe waste air form the radiator may not be the best idea, especially at warmup

I also will be going with either my current straight pipes w/baffles or harley sportster cans, so no more exhaust crossover (which would be a great place for a heat exchanger)

somehow need to create a clean-looking heat exh device from the headers...

this is another great post to get the creative juices flowing. lots of un-necessary info, but the concept is there

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434051

I'm looking at possibly making my own manifold similar to the type 4 VW and running oil through it. I bought a spin on filter adapter with fittings for a cooler. I've spent a lot of time the last week reading all the posts I can find regarding the single carb builds. Now I just have to make some decisions and get on with it. :headscratch:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138527#p138527:3qmtpu9e said:
joedrum » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:40 am[/url]":3qmtpu9e]
well ok guys my idea is a lot like this ....on hooch i have quite room behind the motor.....where the crossover exhaust is ...i am wanting to put in a T towards the carb ...put pipe there with cap on it ... enclose it with a duct work around it ...put rings pie like a ridiator uses to shed heat off an pipe it to carb ....in a enclosed airbox like this thread reads of ....

after working with this carb in the cold weather like i have been doing lately ..it seems to heating the air seems to look like the fastest acting way to concur icing and raw gas charge cause by noisture and air temp ... lets here some others ideas .....on air heat for carb

I've thought about getting heat from the exhaust too but the packaging seems to be the problem. You have the hot exhaust pipes at the bottom of the bike and you have the carb inlet on the top. It would take a long, unsightly flexible duct to join the two. :nea:

The closest exhaust to the carb would be at the exhaust outlet of cylinder #1 and/or 2. It is also at the hottest point. If you could make a tin shroud over these pipes that is open at the back end and connects to a duct at the front. Then run a flex pipe up to carb. Maybe those pre-formed elbows for heating ducts could be made to fit over exhaust pipe. :headscratch:

Brian

FYI, a good friend of mine was over last night and fresh out of High School back in the '60's he became a VW mechanic. He told me all kinds of stories about the older VW manifolds with the long length runners and how many problems they had with icing! :shock:

He said the later VW buses with the larger boxer engine used dual carbs, one over each head to eliminate the icing issue. Apparently, before that change was made, these engines did not do so well in colder climates and if you had the bus and tried to climb a hill in low temps, it would battle and stall from icing.

VW did make manifold changes to grab heat from the exhaust and apparently changed the runners. I have no pics to show of this, but he laughed as soon as I mentioned single carbs and boxer engines.

He also said that VW started using fuel injection in the early 70's.

well theres a big difference from a VW motor and a oldwing motor ..... ive seen the setups ... i dont think VW cared about fixing it right and it was just band aid fixes......sheesh in most riding condition the single set up is fine ... i am testing the extremes of things ....controling air temp is not divine intervention.... its just a thing....i dont care if VW failed at it ....with all the pluses over stock for me ..this one thing is no big deal at all ....

Tonight I found this chart and although it was designed for the aircraft guys, it was being shared on a motorcycle discussion.

I know a few of you have aircraft experience. Could this chart be of use to those people converting to single carb with long intake runners?

Attachments

• carb icing chart.jpg
    carb icing chart.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 89