Fuel gauge wiring

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DadsWing'76

Reaction score
Hey all!! Just a quick question.....one of many I will likely have during the restoration of this '76 GL1000. When this bike came into my possession, it hadn't been run in almost 16yrs. One of the things I'm working on right now is the fuel guage and sending unit. Sending unit was all corroded up, and not reading any sort of ohms during an ohms test. Thanks to this forum and the vinegar/water trick, I already have it reading good again, so I know the sending unit is good. Now on the back of my fuel guage, there are two studs to connect to, one at empty and one at full, as well as two wires, a yellow with white stripe and a green with a black stripe. Can anyone tell me which wire goes to which pole? I THINK all that will happen if I connect them backwards it that the guage will try to work backwards and bottom out against the empty pin correct?
Thanks in advance! :thanks:s

Yes, it is just a bimetallic resistive strip, so reverse polarity shouldn't hurt anything. Don't expect rapid response, and remember - 7 volts max! BTW, there is a good section on it in the FSM.

If you want to replace the original unit you can use a transistor to provide your 7 volts required to run the gauges.

Thanks for the info guys!! The sending unit looks as good as new now. I’ll try hooking it up in the next week or two. I just need to finish cleaning the carbs and then put it back together.
And you bet... 7 volts! Just going to hook up the bike wiring again at that point and see if I can get it running. Will let you know how I make out.
Thanks again for the info.
Jay.