Can someone design a circuit for me?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny42

Reaction score
I would like to build a new headlight circuit from scratch. I would use an on-off-on marine grade rocker switch. One "on" would be low beam, the other "on" would be high beam. I would use "off" when starting the bike. I would use a relay to get power to the headlamp. But that's just my idea. I do not know how exactly to wire this up and where and how to use a relay or whether I need a second relay. i would need to provide a power source to the on-off-on switch to power the relay(s). I don't think I could run this rocker switch with raw power, thus the relays. If someone could draw up a diagram, I would be eternally grateful.

Recap: On-off-on rocker switch to control the headlights bypassing the OEM controls. Getting power from the battery for the lights. Using relays so the on-off-on rocker switch merely powers the relays.

Thanks for the link but the fix shown there uses a working hi-low switch. Mine is shot. I'm trying to create a circuit using all new parts/from scratch.

When I rebuilt the wire harness for my 1100, I added another oil pressure switch to the engine case that triggers a relay to turn the headlight on automatically.

When the engine is off (or operating below 5 psi oil pressure), the oil pressure switch (Normally Closed) has no pressure and makes a circuit connection which triggers the oil pressure warning light when the key is on. Once the engine is running and pressure exceeds 5 psi, the pressure switch disconnects the circuit and turns off the oil pressure warning light.

I added another pressure switch to take advantage of that condition. I added a "Normally Closed" relay for the headlight circuit. A "Normally Closed" relay is spring loaded to keep a connection active without power. When power is applied to the relay, the coil opens the circuit and removes the power from the load.

For the headlight, I wanted a relay that opened when the engine was off in order to shutoff power to the headlight. With no oil pressure, the relay is triggered to stay open and the headlight stays off. When 5 lbs of oil pressure is reached, the pressure switch breaks the connection which then triggers the relay coil to turn the headlight on automatically.

Added oil pressure switch:

image.php

I would use 2 relays( one for high and low beam) that way you take the current away from your high low switch. You could also use a changeover switch ( 3 terminals) As your new high low switch. I use mini toggles in these applications when you are using a relay. My thermo fan over ride Switch is mounted in the choke bracket as it only requires a 1/4” hole, you can also get mini rubber boots for them but so far I haven’t needed it for mine which has been working now for 7 years.

Basically do the pic 2 times.
Relay 1- connect 87 to low beam and 86 to low beam position on your switch.
Relay 2- connect 87 to high beam and 86 to high beam position on your switch.

image.php

I would use the same 15 amp battery input for both relays on 30/51. Relay coil ground is 85.
The trigger terminal 86 as pictured is using a battery +. - (neg) can be used also for "trigger" from your switch.
In that case you'd connect constant + to terminal 86 from terminal 30/51, just jumper it over.

Any questions just ask.