New C5 M Series $449.95!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
As c5ignitions.com strives to stay ahead in innovation and offer choices for superior American made products, ClassicGoldwings.com is proud to be the first to announce the latest in the C5 ignitions product line!

The newest improvement is the 'M' series.

This ignition is smaller than the C series and is being offered at a price $100 less!

The M series will fit inside the stock GL1000 ignition housing and use the stock cover. Nice.
(FYI, Paul at C5ignitions.com has C5 stickers that fit on the GL1000 cover so we can show it off :mrgreen: )

image.php

A bit of interesting trivia I just learned about directly from Paul is the GL1000 was Paul's FIRST startup kit that C5ignitions created as a joint effort with Power Arc and the GL1000 will be the first to get fitment of the new M series.
How cool is that!
FYI, Powerarc has been manufacturing and installing these ignitions for over 20 years.
Power Arc began manufacturing ignitions for Harley Davidson and a few high end customers (Ferrari/Ducati/race machines) and then began expanding into British, Ural, and Honda CB750.
Power Arc and C5ignitons have now expanded further and offer kits for all 4 Japanese brands, Russian, Ukrainian, Italian, American, and Automotive (Dodge, Chevy, Oldsmobile, VW, AMC/Jeep, and hand built custom kits).

The M series will have 2 curves instead of the C series' 4 curves.
The M series can be programmed exactly like the C series with the same programmer.
The M series requires use of special bobbin wound coils and are included in the kit along with new spark plug wires.

As with all Paul's kits in the products he sells, he will include all mounting hardware to adapt as needed both the coil mounts and the M series module into the stock GL1000 housing.

Total cost for this new ignition is $449.95 plus shipping.
This puts it in strong competition price wise with the Dyna ignition.
In competition, HA! This ignition is so far ahead of Dyna technology there IS no competition!

So here's the deal.
Paul is a workin man and has to invest money out in order to start production so he is asking for pre-orders of $100 if you want one of these kits.
First payed pre-order will get the kit first and so on.

Paul's GL1000 running the new M series ignition:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MQmY2iT6Zc[/video]

I will have Paul post further instructions how he want's to do the pre orders.

nice sounding bike paul ...seems to have no bad sounds coming from it at all ...must be really good motor ... happy for you ....

i got a feeling i will be putting one in soon .......

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130761#p130761:3qvcwwz5 said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:39 pm[/url]":3qvcwwz5]
Is this for 1000's only? (Not ready to swap out heads or cams on my 1100 just yet) :wave:
Gl1000 only at this time.
Paul will be checking in soon to give us more info on this.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130756#p130756:10rgsbcy said:
joedrum » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:02 pm[/url]":10rgsbcy]
nice sounding bike paul ...seems to have no bad sounds coming from it at all ...must be really good motor ... happy for you ....

i got a feeling i will be putting one in soon .......

Joe it runs great. Still working on "fine tuning" and you know all about that. It is a fun bike and does run pretty good for not using a full gasket kit from Honda or anywhere else.

We turned on a "DEPOSIT" button for this kit at the https://www.c5ignitions.com website.

As stated earlier we are going to build these kits in the order the deposits are received. We have a few kits being built right now and could ship very soon.

Here is the link to our order page for motorcycle ignitions. Scroll down to the Honda section

https://www.c5ignitions.com/motorcycle-ignitions.html

We also have a link in the Goldwing page of our website.

ClassicGoldwings.com is the official website to introduce this kit. All questions, answers, and comments will be posted here.

We appreciate the support and willingness to discuss new technology without fist fights, name calling, or nonsense. Thank You.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130761#p130761:88g3u5ij said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:39 pm[/url]":88g3u5ij]
Is this for 1000's only? (Not ready to swap out heads or cams on my 1100 just yet) :wave:

Right now we only have the 1000 kit tested. I don't have access to an 1100 for tear down at this time but we'll get 'er done as soon as we can.

Although swapping cams is not fun, I really like the ignition on the head. It's in a cooler spot, easier to get at, and you can program it in a few seconds.

For those not familiar with this ignition.....here is a comparison with the Dyna ignition.

Technically speaking the C5 is as follows:

Timing is tracked using an encoder disc with 90 slots.
Timing is rpm based and does not use the 30 year old mechanical advancer and springs.
Dual optical triggers track TDC and crank/cam rotation of up to 8 cylinders using this one disc.
Timing is set using a built in LED light and is set directly on TDC for quick installation and accuracy.
Using the optional programmer kit the user can change coil saturation and timing (at 10 different points in the rpm range).
Section Bobbin coils are used which are more durable, saturate faster, and provide stronger voltages than standard paper wrapped coils.
Spark occurs 3 times per compression stroke to burn every possible molecule of fuel and eliminate hot spots that cause detonation.
Electronics were invented, tested, manufactured, and programmed in Ankeny Iowa USA by Power Arc Ignitions and have been used for over 20 years on street bikes, cars, and special racing applications.

All engine adapters, coil mounts, installation guides, and technical support are provided by C5 Performance in Appleton Wisconsin USA.

Both Power Arc and C5 Performance are family owned and operated businesses.
C5 cell phone is 920-403-0555 and email is [email protected]

Dyna uses two Hall Effect triggers and one spinning magnet (measures rotation once per revolution).
Timing is set using two power modules and uses stock advancer weights and springs.
Dyna uses one power module per coil.
Timing is set by rotating the large plate for one coil, and a smaller plate for the second coil. Timing should be rechecked/adjusted with a timing light after installation.
Timing curves cannot be adjusted. Rev limits cannot be adjusted. No programmer available.
Coils are standard wrapped design of the same construction as OEM coils.
Spark is once per compression stroke.
No coil mounts provided.
No installation guide available.
Electronics made ?? China
Owned by ?? (can't find it on Google)
Cell phone ??

FYI, no compensation is made to ClassicGoldwings.com, it's founder/owner, or any of it's members from any sales made. This ignition is simply the best that's ever been available, anywhere, at any price.

The Motorcycle kits are listed in alphabetical order with Honda being about half way down the page.

To make it easier I highlighted the kit so you shouldn't miss it. Today I am in the truck driving but if you have questions I'll be around later today.

Once again thanks to Dan for spending a great deal of time supporting this effort.

I support this ignition so strongly because it is so much more than simply electronic points like has been available, Dyna included.
Anyone in the racing and high performance fields know full well the spot on timing and ability to change that timing is a godsend and this capability fills a much needed hole in performance.
It baffles me why you'd settle for a preset timing design when so much more is available.

Myself and others have said it many times, this ignition has to be experienced to be appreciated.

Ok
Explain why one would want to be able to change the coil saturation with this programmable kit.
How do I know if I want to change this after installed.
How do you change it after installed?

hmmmmm wes ... i am not sure on that ....after install it not to easy on 1100s ...but the rotary switch for selecting curves of the four you got is totally possible and easy ...it seems brian has the most experience at riding with different curves .....the 1100s are good bikes ...but is where honda started manufacturing against there customers ..making things user unfriendly ... so programing the c5 is not a easy thing ... and not something c5 could do anything about ...

the 1000s are the bikes that are really set up for programing the best as they were points bikes and access was easy ....on my bike the c5 was program by paul and for the most part i have left it ...it is advance more than stock in several ways and maybe coil saturation was part of it not sure there but i do know the advance is more than just setting it higher he made it come in earlier and stronger through out the increase in rpm .... anyway hooch runs much better on it pauls curve than stock and i went back to it ......but i did go to the stock setting just before going to meet and greet to try it out .... did about 60 mile test and decided it was not as good as the curve paul had set up for me when he program it...so this in itself is something no other oldwing set up can do ....

your bike at the meet and greet and listening to you ... makes me think your carbs are starting to fail some .....the hesitation on the thottle response and then it goes good dosnt seem like anything a c5 could do carbs yes ... keep using atf ... i think your slides are sticking some and reqire big vacume to get moving causing the hesitation you discribe to me ... in my opinion

bottom line c5 wont help carbs that are finicky ... over the last few weeks ..things that happen at the meet with toms single and with jerrys 82 and 77 stock carb bikes ... they is a huge engineering flaw to stock honda carbs that induce laboring the motor and no torque at all till over 3000rpm....thats 1/3 of the motors output wasted in bad carb set up from honda....... compared to my bike hooch that labors non at all ....all other oldwings 1000s 1100s and 1200s stock labor and knock up my drive to some degree no matter how well they run

thanks to the c5 and the weber set up i get complete use of my motor .....thanks paul and greg C5 and power arc for solving 50% of the oldwings problems in one great product .... :thanks:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130797#p130797:120h29vt said:
wilcoy02 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:43 am[/url]":120h29vt]
Ok
Explain why one would want to be able to change the coil saturation with this programmable kit.
How do I know if I want to change this after installed.
How do you change it after installed?

For a stock or mostly stock vehicle there is no reason to change coil saturation. That feature would be used (in my own experience) when running a total loss electrical system. An example would be the AHRMA bikes that have no charging system.
We can play with coil saturation to reduce battery drain, and find the magical point where the coil doesn't misfire.

On a highly modified machine (Bonneville land speed) with high compression or forced induction this might come into play, but again, street bikes would not change it.

Wes, if you have a running issue it most certainly is not a coil saturation issue. If it was, everyone would have the same problem. Saturation issues would be at very high rpm, not low or mid rpm.

Joe, your saturation was not changed when I reprogrammed Hooch.

I know my carbs need looked at.
I want to understand this c5. So that is why I asked the question.
When people ask me about my c5 I want to be able to explain it. If I don't understand it I can't explain it.