Starlight Motorcycle Trailers - Neosho, Mo

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveKamp

Reaction score
Hey All... I recently got dispatched down to North Georgia on a site assignment, and when I went, I took down some 'raw materials' to hand off to a buddy that came up from Jacksonville, FL to meet me.

Amidst the goodies was this little rascal... A Starlight motorcycle trailer, made in Neosho, Mo.

Other than being well-coated in Florida moss, and the wood on top being well rotten, the rest looks like it's got potential...

Attachments

• 20191114_093337.jpg
    20191114_093337.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 206
  • 20191114_093341.jpg
    20191114_093341.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 20191114_093345.jpg
    20191114_093345.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 199
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214423#p214423:2fbic35c said:
Ohara » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:17 am[/url]":2fbic35c]
Wouldn’t mind a trailer, not sure if a 1200 would have enough torque to pull one easily. This one looks like it would be worth a rebuild.
In a heartbeat! A 1200 could pull like no tomorrow. I pull a trailer with my 1100 and have had it loaded as much as 350 lbs of cargo and my 1100 hardly knows it is back there.

image.php

Yeah, this Starlight was made probably about the time the 1100 came out. it's pretty darned light... if chassis was aluminum instead of steel, it MIGHT be lighter, but not by much.

It'll take some cleaning up, and no, it's not a folding tent-trailer, it's just a cargo hauler... but I've got a Eureka 4-man that'll fit in it NICELY.

I'm HOPING that one of these days, my wife will decide to set her 'non-motorcycle-riding' disposition aside and go on a trip from here to the east, up through Ohara's neighborhood and back... she'd like to see Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Nova Scotia, New Brooooonswick, and the St. Lawrence... I'd prefer to make the trip on two wheels, with a trailer behind... but hard to say. She's pretty stubborn... hard to believe she's of primarily German descent... clearly there was some Scotsman in her at one time (substantially more than mine, hee hee...)..

I'll get this bugger cleaned up, cut some replacement pieces for the top, and make it safe and solid to roll... then put a hitch on my 1200. I've looked at several hitches, and while there's plenty others out there, I'm not really satisfied with how they were made or attached, so I'll probably do my own thing. Stay tuned!

Btw... Ohara- if I ever DO get to make that trip, I'll send you a note, and toss you the key to take it for a test, to get a first-hand opinion. I didn't realize where you were, I stayed over in Prescott this time last year, was supervising a site in Cardinal for a week- my apologies for missing a greeting opportunity...

My hitch was made specific for 1100 Standards, but if you fab one, this should give you a good place to start. It attaches at the muffler mount bolts and the seat bolts:

image.php

image.php

image.php

Thanks for the pics, Gerry! I'll keep that in my brain for when I get around to making the hitch. :salute:

You could have the hitch off my 87 but I think shipping would be cost prohibitive. :doh:

Eh... yeah, it'd probably be a bit on the high side... it'd probably just a little less than me just catching a plane down there to pick it up in person. Of course, once I got it back up here, I'd put it on, only to find out that the southern-hemispheric specification would result in a mismatch of ball orientation such that my trailer would have to be inverted to work properly.

I hate having a ball-orientation mismatch... :headscratch:

Hey Joe - you a stickman?

Funny you should mention, I was just reading about some musicians,and to my surprise, saw that Rudy Sarzo was playing in a group that was formed in Winnipeg almost 50 years ago... The Guess Who... and they have videos posted of three tunes...

Now, I'm a fan of LOTS of music and musicians. I'll hafta say, the three they posted were nothing like the namesake history, but the material was so good, that they really deserve a name of their own.

Next time I get sent up eastern Ontario way, I'll not neglect the opportunity to play. In my prior occupation, I spent most of a summer and fall in Calgary, and while there, I had plenty of time between classes, so I rented an acoustic guitar from a local shop. At the same time, I showed up at a local ham-radio club meeting (yep, I'm a ham) and came across some guys who had a blues band that played at the King Eddie (formerly the King Edward Hotel)... they invited me to jump in for a few nights, it was a blast.

Campfire jam!!!

Last time I rode a motorcycle to a casual gathering with my git-tar strapped on, was around '91... to a meeting of (mostly old) ham radio operators over in Indiana. I blasted over on the CX500 with my Conn on the backrest. There was several guys on big motorcycles, lots of cars, trucks, and RVs. Amidst the gang was an old feller rode in by Oldsmobile with one of the guys from Tennessee known by the name of Chester W4CGP... he spent nary a day in his life without a guitar in his hands at least twice, and he was very well known, sorry to say he passed away about 10 years later, but it was nice to meet him. Also there was another guy Joe WB6A CU from California, he was in Indianapolis on business, he drove his rental car over to join in for a few hours... he's also rather common in the guitar world... and that was a campfire jam-session I'll never forget. Any of you who are hams or musicians probably know these guys. It was a fun weekend.

Latest posts