Motorvation Coupe Royale ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCrow

Reaction score
My Bike Models
GL1200A, R100RT, KL650
I've been in the market for a sidecar. This rig came up not to far from home but what is up with this low hanging chassis?? There can't be more the 2in clearance. In the Pic the side car looks to lean in but actually it has a slight lean out

Is this normal for these sidecars?
Any ideas how it could be corrected??
Thanks
OC

Attachments

• IMG_2445.JPG
    IMG_2445.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 222
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219281#p219281:1z6e2l0j said:
D-50Dave » Today- 5:00[/url]":1z6e2l0j]
Slightly larger tire?
True a 1-2inch increase in diameter would help. It would still be very low adding only an 1/2-1inch to ground clearance. Also the fender is attached to the body not the frame. With the current tire there appears to be about the same shock/spring travel as fender clearance.

I think someone really got the mounting wrong but usable, i.e. the bike travels straight down the road. This is some universal mount not GL custom.

I've been searching the web but can't find any pics from low and behind to see if this is a bug or a feature.
OC

PS, can someone help with why the picture upload is rotation my pictures???? 180degs and 90degs???????

Attachments

• IMG_2440.jpg
    IMG_2440.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2442.jpg
    IMG_2442.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 204
Doesn't seem right that sits so low. Maybe with the tire off could reveal something not put together right.
The left is a pivot point I guess. Was thinking maybe a shorter shock would do something but I'm not looking at how it's put together so that's probably not a deal.

I fixed the picture orientation.
The forum software isn't smart enough to know which way is up so you have to experiment with how youre holding the camera when you take the picture. My iPhone has to be landscape.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219283#p219283:3bq6gtlm said:
dan filipi » Today- 7:53[/url]":3bq6gtlm]
Doesn't seem right that sits so low. Maybe with the tire off could reveal something not put together right.
The left is a pivot point I guess. Was thinking maybe a shorter shock would do something but I'm not looking at how it's put together so that's probably not a deal.

I fixed the picture orientation.
The forum software isn't smart enough to know which way is up so you have to experiment with how youre holding the camera when you take the picture. My iPhone has to be landscape.

Hi Dan, I suppose I would need to really dig in to see what is off. When I looked closely those under tubes appear to be welded right to the hub carrier. With a spring over shock in front and air shock aft, you can see those in the pic. I just wish I could find a picture or service book for this sidecar just it answer, bug or feature :read: Because if it is a feature I'll move on since that's not enough clearance for even my driveway.

Pictures: Strange, they appear proper in my Apple MacBook preview and Photos. Just when uploaded they flipped! But the owner took the pictures uploaded so I don't know what device he used to take the pictures.
OC

I've been looking at pictures online of similar models and others which none seem to have any frame or suspension hanging low.

A good friend of mine and the forum is Susie Sidecar. I'll PM her email address to you. I'm sure she can help solve this mystery.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219360#p219360:1z2khonm said:
patentgeek » Today- 10:46[/url]":1z2khonm]
I think the air shock has deflated. But this suspension design inherently doesn't have the same ground clearance of something like a Ural.

My Coupe Royale is for sale in the classifieds section:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14225
Could you please post a low angle pic like the one I posted?

Why would the Air Shock change the ground clearance of the cross member that is welded to the wheel hub and the air shock lower mount?
Just got back from a 2hr COLD ride on my GL1200 so my mind might be a bit numb.

Also the rig got sold and not to me :head bang:
This is what the seller told me when I inquired, wild story!
" A guy sent me a text saying SOLD. I insisted that he see it first.
He agreed, showed up at my house after dark,... he's 70 years old, no motorcycle license, didn't look at the bike at all. All he wanted to do was
show me pictures of his collection of Hot Rods (many). He just wanted the sidecar. He thought it looked "really cool" and thought
he needed it for his collection. Didn't care about the Goldwing. Didn't even care to hear it run. Trusted that it did.
Said he would probably give it away.
He imagines putting the sidecar on his dead brothers' custom painted HD Heritage Classic, with matching trailer.
He had the cash with him. I delivered it the next day.
It was another interesting craigslist/facebookmarketplace experience.

Stay well.

Greg"

Why would the Air Shock change the ground clearance of the cross member that is welded to the wheel hub and the air shock lower mount?

Inflating the shock wouldn't change the ground clearance immediately adjacent to the wheel, but it would steepen the angle of the cross member itself, providing a bit more clearance farther away from the wheel.

I don't think the designer was contemplating use on rough roads. But clearance immediately adjacent to the wheel is less of a concern since the wheel will roll over the obstacle.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219365#p219365:n56rnzhu said:
patentgeek » 39 minutes ago[/url]":n56rnzhu]
Inflating the shock wouldn't change the ground clearance immediately adjacent to the wheel, but it would steepen the angle of the cross member itself, providing a bit more clearance farther away from the wheel.
Humm, I suppose I'd need one in front of me to see how that would work. But true since the lowest part is at the tire less chance of hanging up on a dead skunk in the middle of the road just move over a bit and pass it down center :)

I was thinking that removing the fender and putting on a taller tire, +4inch dia would then give +2inch for a total of about 4inch clearance and much less worry. Oh and then putting something fender like on since the powers that shouldn't be dictate.
Thanks
OC