Lookie What I Found...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tumunga

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thumbing through my Harbor Freight flyer while at work, and found this:

600 Lb. Capacity 78" Tag-Along Trailer

$399.99 (it's $359.99 in the flyer)

ITEM 66771

66771.gif

600 lb. load capacity for automotive and 200 lb. maximum capacity for motorcycle use
16.6 cubic feet of storage space
Heavy duty 4.80 x 8" tires
Universal 1-7/8" ball coupler
Leaf spring suspension system
Self-assisted hydraulic struts for easy lid opening
Lockable shell includes two keys and has two additional side latches
Includes coupler, safety chain, wiring harness, trailer light kit, and license plate holder
55 MPH maximum towing speed

Bed dimensions: 41-3/8" L x 34-1/4" W x 3-1/2" H; Shell dimensions: 47-1/2" L x 38" W x 16" H; Tongue dimensions: 49-3/4" L x 2-1/2" W x 1-7/8" H x 14 gauge thick; Overall dimensions: 78" L x 44-1/2" W x 38" H
Weight: 145.2 lbs.

ITEM 66771-1VGA

"55 MPH maximum towing speed "

Well...that kinda ruins the fun, don't it? :smilie_happy:
I wouldn't mind having a box to tow behind mine, but I couldn't handle the tiny wheels, which is prolly why it is only rated for 55mph. Then again, I'll prolly never actually need a trailer, anyway. :roll:

tumunga":1fatykrq said:
Hell, U-haul car dollies say their maximum speed is 45mph. I've never seen one going that slow!

Lol true... They just says speeds like that for insurance purposes... i think you would be fine going 20 over that as long as you didnt overloaded it

I have a cargo trailer similar to this one with 8 inch, four lug, wheels. My son and I have pulled it many miles behind Goldwings. My son pulled it one trip to Colorado behind his Jeep. Pulls good at 70-80 MPH and I know we had more than 200 Lb. load most times. You do have to replace the tires frequently. New wheel with tire is cheap though.
Think the 55 towing speed is COA for the company.
BTW scdmarx, my son, in September, pulled his pop-up camper from northern California to southern California at posted highway speeds. Know California law for trailers is posted at 55 MPH but we didn't see any going that slow. I think there was another of the western states with posted 55 MPH for trailers. We are law abiding citizens and don't recommend breaking the law. :roll: :oops:

The trailer looks almost exactly like one we pulled behind our "81" Goldwing GL 1100 Interstate in So. CA. I made it from a 4x4 Harbor Freight trailer with 8" wheels and a car top carrier from Sears called an excargo. The box originally was grey & white. Took the same trailer behind my truck and camper on a trip to WA. with the wife & kids for xtra storage of sleeping bags and all the camping gear, (stove, lantern ect). Round trip was over 2600 miles & only slowed to 55 for the off ramps. Would gladly pull another one. Just wouldn't go over 55 with it empty. Load that puppy up & go for it. Dave

djfosk":hd9bvvy0 said:
The trailer looks almost exactly like one we pulled behind our "81" Goldwing GL 1100 Interstate in So. CA. I made it from a 4x4 Harbor Freight trailer with 8" wheels and a car top carrier from Sears called an excargo. The box originally was grey & white. Took the same trailer behind my truck and camper on a trip to WA. with the wife & kids for xtra storage of sleeping bags and all the camping gear, (stove, lantern ect). Round trip was over 2600 miles & only slowed to 55 for the off ramps. Would gladly pull another one. Just wouldn't go over 55 with it empty. Load that puppy up & go for it. Dave

Welcome from another CA refugee.. North TEXAS now... NM and TX both have speed limits for trailers... but the otherwise law obiding citizens go flow of traffic.. HMMMMMM???!!!

Well thanks for the welcome Joe, I was born in Montana but went to military school in San Antonio & San Marcos Texas after the folks broke up before joining the Navy in 1962 in Houston. I'd put a picture in the square of our Wing but my simple mund won't allow me to do it. I'm sure as usual it's not that hard when you do it once. I have a picture of the "83" we just bought with one of those trailers behind it. I didn't buy the trailer also because the guy was upgrading to a GL 1500 & goes a lot. He just went R/T to Texas.
Flow of traffic is a good thing. Hmmm.

Dave Foskette
83 GL 1000 Interstate
DAV Viet Era USN BMSN

Replace the 8" wheels with 10" or 12" ones. This will allow you to pull faster without worry about the trailer wheels blowing. Keep in mind that at 55MPH, the 8" wheels are turning almost 115MPH!

BlueThunder":2xyjwaqo said:
Replace the 8" wheels with 10" or 12" ones. This will allow you to pull faster without worry about the trailer wheels blowing. Keep in mind that at 55MPH, the 8" wheels are turning almost 115MPH!

Just my 2cents:

It's not the size of the wheels thats the problem, it's the rating of the tires.
If you want tires that will handle higher speeds I would try a towing supply place, look in the dolly section.
Did towing for goodly number of years, car dolly tires come in a variety of ratings but basically break down to two categories City or Highway. I once had a boss cheap out and buy city tires for a set of dollies I was using mostly for highway, they lasted less then 2 weeks. The set I had on before that lasted the better part of 9 months that I have personal knowledge of (I was told they were "newish" when I was hired). Replaced the city tires with highway rated tires and they lasted over a year easily. Thats on canadian highways avg speed 110kph ummm I mean 100kph (you knw, the legal speed limit), used many times daily.

Well, I actually went over to their warehouse in Greenville, SC where they assembly them trying to get them to donate one for a forum mng. Didn't work.

scdmarx":185puw4t said:
BlueThunder":185puw4t said:
at 55MPH, the 8" wheels are turning almost 115MPH!

:?: :shock: :?:
The rear of a GL1000 is 17", which is more than twice the diameter of the 8" trailer tire. That means that the 8" tire must rotate twice as fast as the GL tire. If you want I can show the math. I don't know of any trailer tire that is rated for that speed. Yes, you can go 70+ MPH, but you're pushing the trailer tire beyond its rated limits.

Yes it has to spin twice as fast to keep up,but I have 8" wheels on both my present trailor and my last and have never had an issue.I was always more concerned about the bearings than tires.
I pack the bearings every year with synthetic grease and had pulled the last trailor across ohio at 80 mph all day last summer.I would check both the tires and hubs for heat at every gas stop but they never heated up much.

I have a friend who has a snowmobile trailor with 8" wheels and used it to go out west hunting last year and had 3 blowouts on the way out.Even slowing to 55-60.Before coming home they loaded a bunch of his crap to another guys trailor,and some in the trucks to lighten the load and didnt blow even one on the way home at 70.

There is so little weight in these trailors these tires are under very little stress.I have pulled 8" wheeled trailors behind my bike for tens of thousands of miles through 10 states with no troubles.In fact its easier to pull and stop a little tire than a big heavy one anyway.

Tory":3mukplgo said:
Yes it has to spin twice as fast to keep up,but I have 8" wheels on both my present trailor and my last and have never had an issue.I was always more concerned about the bearings than tires.
I pack the bearings every year with synthetic grease and had pulled the last trailor across ohio at 80 mph all day last summer.I would check both the tires and hubs for heat at every gas stop but they never heated up much.

I have a friend who has a snowmobile trailor with 8" wheels and used it to go out west hunting last year and had 3 blowouts on the way out.Even slowing to 55-60.Before coming home they loaded a bunch of his crap to another guys trailor,and some in the trucks to lighten the load and didnt blow even one on the way home at 70.

There is so little weight in these trailors these tires are under very little stress.I have pulled 8" wheeled trailors behind my bike for tens of thousands of miles through 10 states with no troubles.In fact its easier to pull and stop a little tire than a big heavy one anyway.
What I would do IMHO is exchange bearings and tires for good quality name brands (i'm pretty sure those items are made in china)....Just to be on the safe side. :thank_you:

Latest posts