GL1000 engine swap

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramchargerjay

Reaction score
I’m looking for information on swapping an 1100 or 1200 engine into a 78 GL1000. recall seeing somewhere that the 1100 is a direct bolt-in. What about the 1200? Pros and cons for each vs keeping the 1000?

The 1200 will need some clearance for it to fit in the 1000 frame... it will also require some conversion to switch the bike over to a hydraulic clutch as well and some electrical modifications for the fuel pump and the ignition. Oh, and there is the output shaft of the engine to worry about as well. The 1200 does not use the circlip and the universal shaft is held onto the output shaft by spring pressure. The 1000 drive shaft does not have the spring, so you would need to have the circlip in place. The 1100 would need some electrical changes for the differences in the ignitions, but that is about it.

I like the 1200 motor better than the 1100 due to the hydraulic lifters. The torque that the 1200 has feels like it is more than the 1100 as well.

Hmmmm..... Ok ..there is no strait plug and play motor switching ...but it can be done ..my bike has 1200 short block ..1100 heads 1000 early cams ..1000 ignition by way of c5 ignition setup ...weber progressive 2bbl carb ...1200 swing arm and final drive ...2200 mag wheels on a 77 bike ...nothing actually fit LOL...my opinion is as Brian said 1200 is the best motor in my opinion also
..but I personally don't like 1200 heads plus going with the 1000 ignition set up kept my wiring on the 1000 bike ...if you go 1200 you need to switch out output shafts to the 1000 so circlip can used on finam drive ..1200 output shaft is to short ...no place for circlip to go ..back cover of motor has to come off to switch output shafts ...I found that my 1200 motor all modded up with 1000 swing arm and final drive way to low geared ..I eventually went to 1200 final drive and swing arm .....I could not list all the parts mixing I've done on my bike lol ...even have car tire on back and rear tire on front doing the double dark side rubber set up ...I'd day my bike getting around 8 yrs of riding time set up like this...but be ready it not all plug and play but doable and not that costly ..if you have smart hands ..I love having a one of a kind bike ...no doubt I am the weakest link on the bike .. :read: :hihihi:

It takes turning the pivot pins down to 1200 size pins and 1200 brakes ...and the shocks made to work

.my bike is setup this way ..the shaft drive is a bit long but will work

Latest posts