1975 GL1000 Occasionally Dies

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbuice

Reaction score
I had some work done by a local shop. They have done carb and other type work for me before. On this trip they rebuilt the carbs using Randakk's kits, set valve clearance, replaced the cam belt and set the engine timing. The bike runs like a top with one exception. Occasionally when riding and I close the throttle and pull in the clutch the engine will die. This mostly happens if I have been cruising at speed for a while like on the expressway. It starts right back up and runs fine. What might be causing this? Thanks very much. Benny

Add some ATF to the gas about 5to6oz per tank and keep riding it ..hard to say what’s going on but the atf will clean things up while running it with no down sides to it really ..it may smoke a bit this usually clears up or you can put less atf per tank ...welcome to classic

I have never had a shop overhaul older bike carbs correctly. I wouldn't trust them to even follow Randaak's instructions, although he has the best overhaul kits I have ever used! I agree that it sounds like dirty or obstructed idle jets. There are passage that take time and effort to clean properly, that a shop just will not put into for anyone. I'd be surprised if they the shop even bothered to balance them even. Most shops will Chem-Dip carb bodies and call it a day. I also suspect, if you have to ask the same shop twice, they won't have much enthusiasm for doing it right the second go-around either. I'm not a pessimist, but that has just been my experience for over 40 years. Doing it right isn't rocket science, just very tedious and time consuming, an exercise in patience, and love for your Honda! It always beats trying to wrangle with a bike shop; they don't own it, or have to ride it. -Graves-

Ansimp":1d01zb93 said:
Plus one on Mike. Also Pistol Pete is a legend. :good:
Pete is a great guy, too. Lives about 10 miles from me. He's turning the work over to his son now, but is still around to advise and insure the same level of service and quality.

I never got this thing to run really well so after spending $500+ a few times to get my 1975 GL1000 Carbs rebuilt I decided to try a single carb this year. I purchased a manifold and a 34PICT-3 carb. I followed the instructions and have it all installed. No matter what I do I can't get the bike to idle below 2000 rpm. I have looked through the forum and haven't seen anything much about this issue. I have Dyna ignition on the bike if that makes any difference. Can anyone offer any advice?

I just thought of another question. In my reading through the forum I came across a couple of posts regarding icing of the manifold. Is this a big problem and does it keep the bike from running? Does it happen when riding or just until the bike is warmed up?

Thanks.

Benny

Add some ATF to the gas about 5to6oz per tank and keep riding it ..hard to say what’s going on but the atf will clean things up while running it with no down sides to it really ..it may smoke a bit this usually clears up or you can put less atf per tank ...welcome to classic
A friend of mine suggested adding a cap full of 2 stroke oil to every tank of gas ,he said it will coat the bare metal surface inside the tank (which in my case was badly rusted till I cleaned it all out )to keep it from rusting again ,cheap insurance.

Latest posts