Engine paint...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workinman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have a recommendation for engine paint? I would like to stick as close to possible to the original color, but it doesn’t have to be perfect. I usually order my paint through Summit Racing but all they seem to have is silver metallic.
Thanks, Chris

The engine paint I have used that is a near perfect match to the original color is Duplicolor 1615 Aluminum.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

It is a multi step process. Clean and degrease the engine, remove loose paint, sand smooth, use Duplicolor high heat primer, two coats of Duplicolor high heat 1615 and then two coats of Duplicolor high heat clear. The high heat clear cures when the engine is running and hot.

Here is how the paint held up after 3 1/2 years:

image.php

I suggest only that you spray it. I brush painted my favorite brand in (POR-15) in solid MG Maroon and it was great. But, their silver/aluminum when brushed on was very streaked. I've read that others have had that problem, but with it thinned and sprayed gave good results. I suspect that would be the case with any brand's metalics.

Latest posts