first test ride

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckahleer

Reaction score
I got my 1977 GL1000 running well enough to take it out on its first shake down ride. Ran good once warmed up. Things that still need attention are. Turn signals and brake light not working. Speedometer and tachometer needles only moving half as far as they should and moving very slowly. Has anyone here had any luck opening up the instruments and cleaning/lubricating them?

I've opened quite a few. There are Youtube videos on how. All of mine were just thickened grease slowing the needles down. A fraction of a drop of silicone spray lubricant thins the grease and lubricates well. Place it with a toothpick. Don't get it on the face (it will darken the face and dissolve the markings). I test mine with the broken-off stud from a pop-rivet chucked in a battery drill on high speed reverse. My drill runs one up to about 30 mph. Don't expect full accuracy as Honda makes them about 5% fast.

Got turn signals working. Found bad ground in headlight bucket. The bad news is now it sound like I'm backing up a bulldozer.

The brake light wiring is good up to the reserve lighting unit, and the brake indicator light comes on when the brakes are applied, but brake light still will not illuminate. Bad reserve lighting unit?

Found a good video on rebuilding gauges. Will save that job for later.

Latest posts