Water pump replacement

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckahleer

Reaction score
I thought I was done fixing this bike up. But now notice coolant dripping from the weep hole. I assume this will require a new water pump.
Most instructions I have found say you must remove the front engine cover. My Clymer manual says Just remove the pump housing and pull the pump out. It notes the engine front cover only needs to be removed if water is getting in the oil.
Is the Clymer manual wrong?

If the bike has been sitting for any period of time, the seal can and will weep. I would drop your antifreeze out, pull the cover and see if the impeller is loose. If any movement side to side, it needs to be replaced. If not, the weep can often disappear with riding.

If you have to replace the pump, then yes, the front cover has to come off.

Update.
I Received the new oem water pump and installed it yesterday. This morning I started the bike up and went on a 20 minute test ride, no more leak. From start to finish, the job took me about 9 hours.
The hardest part for me was getting the top screws removed from the engine front cover. All the cover screws were tight and needed an impact tool to break them loose. But the top screws were behind frame tubes and there was no way to get a #3 Philips or impact tool straight on them. I found using wobble extensions and an assortment of 90 degree screw drivers made the job possible.
Thanks all for the advice and encouragement.

Latest posts