Is it common to spend more time wrenching than riding

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckahleer

Reaction score
This 1977 Goldwing is the oldest bike I have owned since the 70's. Will I eventually get the bugs worked out and just ride it? Or is it just the nature of the beast and I'm doomed to a life of wrenching.

Maybe you just need the right person wrenching or the right donor bike. :smilie_happy:
Just in case here is some off road riding :whistling:

Welcome and don't lose heart. These are older bikes and do require TLC. I have an '85 Limited Edition fuel injected model and it is a challenge at times. You will be able to get the bike to a good standard mechanically, timing belts, tires, brakes, bearings and the likes. The carbs may need to be done, but this is a one time issue (hopefully). I have been rebuilding mine for the past five years and what I find works is to determine what I want to achieve in a work/maintenance periods of say three weeks or less. Do this, then ride for a while. Contemplate the next work/maintenance period, determine what you to do and when. I try to always do what I set out to do, then ride again. Do not go down the rabbit hole so to speak. Easy to say I can do that now, do this only if it is necessary for personal and road safety. Put the issue into the next work period. You will be wrenching, but you can find a balance between wrenching and riding.

I would also recommend to remove/disconnect any additions to the bike from the OEM system wiring. The bike's electrical system is designed to the minimum standard necessary to safely operate the bike as it came from the factory. I would install an accessory fuse block that integrates ground and power. Doing this will ensure that you can troubleshoot quickly, and you're not guessing whether it is the OEM side of the equation, or the additions. Always good to have a known starting point.

When I want to do work on the '85 1200, I look at the weather channel as well. Better to wrench when it's raining than when it's not.

No quick fixes with an older bike, but it'll get better with each work/maintenance period done. Good luck

Well, they are over 40 years old. How many 40 year old cars are there out on the road? Hobbyists spend lots of time (and money) to get those old cars on the road (safely).

This old girls, once you get the basics fixed or updated (tires, timing belts, carbs rebuilt, brakes rebuilt, steering head bearings replaced, gas and air filters replaced, gas tank is clean, water pump replaced, new o-rings and seals for the water system and exhaust gaskets), generally, they ride trouble free for years.

I've owned my '81 Interstate for over 30 years. More years than not (this being one of them) I change the oil and filter, add air to the tires, and just check and add oil once a month.

A buddy of mine made that observation about me recently. He said exactly that – "You spend more time in the shop working on those things than you do riding them". It's therapeutic I think.

But, he may be right, and I'm not ashamed of it, but I definitely think I ride less than I used to. Guess I need to work on that...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217868#p217868:1rgrk2y4 said:
desertrefugee » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:10 am[/url]":1rgrk2y4]
A buddy of mine made that observation about me recently. He said exactly that – "You spend more time in the shop working on those things than you do riding them". It's therapeutic I think.

But, he may be right, and I'm not ashamed of it, but I definitely think I ride less than I used to. Guess I need to work on that...

I definitely agree it is therapeutic! Riding is a blast, but wrenching on these old girls and watching them come back to life is also a lot of fun!

Note I have a 1100, not the 1000. Plus some other vehicles of the same vintage.

If you are detailed-orientated, I think almost any 40 year motor vehicle is going to need a lot to get it back into shape. Especially when they weren't running.

But once everything is fixed up, they seem pretty reliable.

Latest posts