Bearing shells...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gc33

Reaction score
So... This topic has probably been done to death... But here goes...I recently got hold of a 75. Stripped heads off to find terrible corrosion on cyl 2 and 4....2 being absolute worst. So it's a rebore to oversize...
The pistons are not really a problem... It's the bearing shells that are going to be the problem. Scarce as hens teeth...
So I'm now wondering... What are they coated with? Can the original shells treated/coated with? I'm wondering if they could be retreated... Sounds far-fetched I know..
But when we can't get them what else do you do? Get them custom made? Wingovations we're having them made but I had an email back last nite due to people not willing to pay the price they dropped the idea....
So... Options... 3d print and have custom made and treated... Retreat originals if such a thing is avail?...
Im at a standstill now...

You have to determine what bearing shells you need. Honda colour coded all the journal and con rod bearings. This was in essence Honda's way of balancing the engine. You have to use the same colour coded bearing for each journal and con rod. If you have to replace a connecting rod, these are weighted and you have to find one that is weighted the same. The OEM service manual has the key to deciphering this issue. Once you determine which colour bearing shells are required then you can go looking - some are available, some are not. "Brown" colour is the most common.

Don't think the old bearing shells can be reused. Not a lot of material on these bearings. You will see this when you look in the OEM manual. Not a lot of difference between bearing colours.

CMS out of Holland has a lot of these items. If it is listed on its web site it is generally in stock. You can register and send the company a query, have to register though. Checked the Brown and Green colours, CMS does not have them. Going to be a challenge.

One fellow on another forum, goes by the moniker Canuckxxxx used piston rings for his project from an early model Chev Tracker. If you have a good auto parts guy, maybe they can find something equivalent.

I got lucky with my 1200. Good Luck

Forgot to mention that I am rebuilding my 1200, but to add to the misery intend to rebuild my 1500 engine as well. Might say I'm a bugger for punishment. :cool: :cool: Think the bearings will be more readily available. Get in early so there is a supply, not too many people taking on a 1500.

My brother is in northern Ontario Canada, and we have discussed this issue. He has an auto parts guy that would do some research for him. I remember years ago when we used to do this, mind you this was in the '60s.

Wonder how close the 1000 bearings would be to the 1500? The bore and stroke on a 1500 is 71X64 mm compared to the 1000 at 72X61.4 mm respectively. I've attached a comparison chart I did when I started my 1200 engine rebuild project:View attachment 1500 - 1200 Engine Bearing Comparison Chart.xlsNever know what you'll find.

I had an email from a bloke in Germany. Apparently he has main bearings.. Nissan... Which are substitutes. He is away at present but is going to contact me when he's back. But not the big end bearings.
I have had another idea for bores. In the mining industry we have what we call line boring. They can line bore from 35mm upwards. Essentially the bore is built up with a series of fine welds then ground back to the desired size. So I'm goin to investigate that some more... Will keep yas posted. I'll find a video showing the process. Really interesting.
And yes I know line boring or align boring is generally used for crankshafts and cam journals...
Im just wondering.. Seeing it done on or machines if the same process could be adopted for cylinders...

Perused the 1000 service manual for bearing sizes. The manual has the requisite colour codes, but does not mention any specs for the bearings, journal or con rod. The 1100 manual has the bearing thickness sizes, the same as for the 1200 and 1500:View attachment 1100 Bearing Chart.xlsThe information I have is that the 1100 crank and con rod journal sizes are 43 and 46 in diameter respectively and the 1000 crank and con rod journals are 3 mm less. This would tell me that the diameter of the 1100 bearings would probably not fit the 1000 structure. A little more information to dwell on. Cheers

I've always wondered why a good machine shop couldn't make new bearing shells.

Is there a technical reason? Is it just too costly?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218501#p218501:ajbzhmir said:
saganaga » Today- 6:42[/url]":ajbzhmir]
I've always wondered why a good machine shop couldn't make new bearing shells.

Is there a technical reason? Is it just too costly?
Not only that but surely Honda or any other manufacturer wouldn't just do bearing's to fit the one machine. Would not be cost efficient?

Babbitted journal bearings for steam turbines can indeed be re-babbitted. USN does it. I fear it may have become one of those skills that very few still have, though. Hope I'm wrong. As I remember being taught in Machinest Mate "A" school, the babbitt material is melted into the shell and then machined and finally scrapped to dimension.

From wikipedia:
In more modern practice, the crankshaft and connecting rod big end bearings in a modern automobile engine are made of a replaceable steel shell, keyed to the bearing caps. The inner surface of the steel shell is plated with a coating of bronze, which is in turn coated with a thin layer of Babbitt metal as the bearing surface.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218508#p218508:2tyfkhz1 said:
pidjones » Today- 14:03[/url]":2tyfkhz1]
Babbitted journal bearings for steam turbines can indeed be re-babbitted. USN does it. I fear it may have become one of those skills that very few still have, though. Hope I'm wrong. As I remember being taught in Machinest Mate "A" school, the babbitt material is melted into the shell and then machined and finally scrapped to dimension.

From wikipedia:
In more modern practice, the crankshaft and connecting rod big end bearings in a modern automobile engine are made of a replaceable steel shell, keyed to the bearing caps. The inner surface of the steel shell is plated with a coating of bronze, which is in turn coated with a thin layer of Babbitt metal as the bearing surface.
Nice work... It's interesting... With motor vehicles here in Australia... And a big following of ford and Holden enthusiasts of classic vehicles... That we had a supplier called "rare spares" and they did all reproduction parts. Floor pans, panels etc. Surely we could get same done with the likes of bearing shells. And with technology being more advanced be able to make use of 3d printers, cnc machinery and advanced materials...

I had a bit of a win with bearing shells. I emailed a guy in Germany via wingovations.com
He has got me a set of shells that are the equivalent to the GL Brown intermediate shells. And they are Nissan... And I will do my entire crank journals and big end journals for $85US.... Plus shipping so for under $200 aus.
So now I just have to get the bores sorted.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218581#p218581:3ro8b268 said:
Gc33 » Today, 4:07 am[/url]":3ro8b268]
I had a bit of a win with bearing shells. I emailed a guy in Germany via wingovations.com
He has got me a set of shells that are the equivalent to the GL Brown intermediate shells. And they are Nissan... And I will do my entire crank journals and big end journals for $85US.... Plus shipping so for under $200 aus.

Interesting. Does he only have the equivalent to brown bearing shells, or other bearing shell sizes as well?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218582#p218582:2nedvvvd said:
saganaga » Today- 5:31[/url]":2nedvvvd]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218581#p218581:2nedvvvd said:
Gc33 » Today, 4:07 am[/url]":2nedvvvd]
Interesting. Does he only have the equivalent to brown bearing shells, or other bearing shell sizes as well?
I'm not sure man. I enquired through the wingovations.com website. They were having shells made but due to costs no-one wanted them. There was/is another email address there I contacted and Ray has been very helpful.
There are a couple of very minute differences on which has detailed what to do on fitment of them.

Attachments

• Pleuellager GL1000.pdf
    308.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_20200720-043943_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200720-043943_Gmail.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 100
The sizes are the same as Honda's "brown" intermediate shells.
There are two differences:
The conrod shells are latest production Nissan bearings, they have no locking lugs, but there is no need to be afraid,
they won't turn in the big end or fall out:
The main bearing shells are also Nissan, the difference to Honda is that they have no oil bores. You need a good drill press and a good twist drill to make the oil bores.
Use an old shell as a mold and try to put as little pressure on the twist drill as possible, not to bend the shell.

No comes the good news:
The price is 60 USD for a set of eight conrod bearings and 25 USD for a set of eight main bearings (You only need 6 but Nissan sells eight-packs only).

Do you know what kind of nissan these bearings fit?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218598#p218598:1kv531o1 said:
Dusterdude » Yesterday- 22:55[/url]":1kv531o1]
Do you know what kind of nissan these bearings fit?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
Nah mate.. I don't as yet. I have asked the question so if I find out I'll let yas know..

I just received email from Rainer.. Bloke in Germany. He has already shipped my bearing shells. I hadn't even paid for them... And he has sent them... Very trusting... And that's not to be abused... So I sent my coin via PayPal...
$113US guys... For a full set of shells for both big ends and crankshaft. That is legendary!!.. Oh... And that was shipped as well. Well pleased.

Latest posts