GL 1000 camshaft ID

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike in idaho

Reaction score
I've got this pair of GL1000 camshafts, lying on the bench, that I'd like to identify. Besides being marked "LH" and "RH" they both have the letter "J" cast into them and the letters "R1" stamped into them. No other identifying marks seem to be present. :?
Any clues as to what year they are from?

they are 75-77 cams ....im not sure what the letter means on mine the letter is h .....later 1000 cams 78-79 are stamped 431 .....true 75 cams are shorter than other yrs as the fuel pump lobe is shorter the ones i was looking at with letter h on them are 75 cams .....but they are the same grind as the 76-77 cams ....

the cams you have are the hotter of the 1000 cams :mrgreen:

in case your wondering the shorter lobe cams will work on motors with longer lobes.....im in the process of putting 75 cams in my 82 1100 .....im curious on how well this will work and the results .....im also going to install the 1000 ignition setup but at first im just using it as a cover for the camshaft extension that operates the ignition as the 1100 ignition is in fine shape as are the carbs ......this way all the changes in the bike can be all in the cam change as the bike is a perfect running bike ....if i like where its going i might switch to the 1000 ignition for its adjustability and better spark if it is upgraded to a dyna ignition and coils....

i have other project bike going on where the info on this bike will help me to determin the way i want to go with them :mrgreen:

Latest posts