Trick to clutch lifter plate? Anyone?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workinman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I’m replacing the clutch on my 77 during its restoration, and I’ve cracked TWO lifter plates putting it back together. I’m putting in new plates and springs but everything else is original. I cracked the first lifter plate cuz I wasn’t being very careful. From what I hear they are VERY easy to break, so I got another one off of eBay and went about VERY CAREFULLY installing it this morning. Sure enough, just before it was fully tight, CRACK. I was literally tightening these bolts a quarter turn at a time. I COULD NOT have been any more careful! Does anybody have any tips here as to how you get this damn thing on without cracking it?
Thank you.
Chris

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218894#p218894:3bojnq48 said:
Workinman » 2020-08-18- 6:41[/url]":3bojnq48]
Okay guys, I’m replacing the clutch on my 77 during its restoration, and I’ve cracked TWO lifter plates putting it back together. I’m putting in new plates and springs but everything else is original. I cracked the first lifter plate cuz I wasn’t being very careful. From what I hear they are VERY easy to break, so I got another one off of eBay and went about VERY CAREFULLY installing it this morning. Sure enough, just before it was fully tight, CRACK. I was literally tightening these bolts a quarter turn at a time. I COULD NOT have been any more careful! Does anybody have any tips here as to how you get this damn thing on without cracking it?
Thank you.
Chris

Only thing i can think of is maybe a spring was not seated in the bucket causing just enough cross tension to let you get almost locked down but not fully seated.
38_G.jpg

..using a strong light and 'feeling' with a thin screwdriver on the plate-lifter, make SURE the springs are seated right
39_G.jpg

Reference how to article noted below if havent alreday.
https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 007298db35

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219090#p219090:15m7s5md said:
pidjones » Today- 4:01[/url]":15m7s5md]
Could it be that the ebay plate had already been cracked or at least stressed before you tried it?
Good call,
Might warrant a dye penetrant inspection of next used prior to installation

Okay... here’s what I’ve figured out. By the way, thanks for the replies. I’ve ended up cracking THREE of these lifter plates before I finally figured out what was wrong. Or shall I say I THINK I figured out what was wrong. I was installing EBC clutch springs just because I thought they might be a little better than stock. My stock springs checked out okay, but just thought I would spend the extra 20 bucks and throw in some stronger springs. Turns out, after cracking THREE lifter plates, that the EBC springs are slightly larger in diameter than the stock springs and therefore were not seating correctly under the plate. They were cocked slightly and causing the plate to crack just before it was fully tightened. So, I installed a stock set of springs and everything worked just fine. I also installed a lifter plate from a CB750 as they are a better design than the GL plate. The only difference, other than where the spring seats, is the bearing boss is not as large (deep) as the GL plate. It shouldn’t make any difference. The bearing is the same. They are pretty much identical, but a better design. I shall see when I get the bike back together whether it was a good idea or a bad idea. Gotta admit, this one had me whooped for a while.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219093#p219093:2ss144yl said:
Workinman » 8 minutes ago[/url]":2ss144yl]
Okay... here’s what I’ve figured out. By the way, thanks for the replies. I’ve ended up cracking THREE of these lifter plates before I finally figured out what was wrong. Or shall I say I THINK I figured out what was wrong. I was installing EBC clutch springs just because I thought they might be a little better than stock. My stock springs checked out okay, but just thought I would spend the extra 20 bucks and throw in some stronger springs. Turns out, after cracking THREE lifter plates, that the EBC springs are slightly larger in diameter than the stock springs and therefore were not seating correctly under the plate. They were cocked slightly and causing the plate to crack just before it was fully tightened. So, I installed a stock set of springs and everything worked just fine. I also installed a lifter plate from a CB750 as they are a better design than the GL plate. The only difference, other than where the spring seats, is the bearing boss is not as large (deep) as the GL plate. It shouldn’t make any difference. The bearing is the same. They are pretty much identical, but a better design. I shall see when I get the bike back together whether it was a good idea or a bad idea. Gotta admit, this one had me whooped for a while.

Awesome, "necessity is the mother of invention!"
If works out please share the PN for the CB plate for my future plans, thx.

Workinman,
were these the culprit i should avoid? i see a clutch job in my future, slippin at 6800-8k under load. or any gear when power shifting.
spring pak.JPG

Yes. Those are the ones! In fact, I’ve got a brand new set sitting on the workbench you are welcome to if you would like to try them. I don’t know WHY they were larger than stock, but they were. JUST ENOUGH to cause problems. I’ll measure them when I get a chance, compared to the stock springs (I have another set) and post the sizes for future reference. I’m SURE I’m not the first person to try these springs, so I’m wondering if maybe I got a “bad” set somehow. I guess anything is possible. At this point, if I had a slipping clutch I would concentrate on a good set of clutch plates, measure the springs to make sure they were within tolerance and roll with it. Those clutch lifter plates can get expensive!

Copy that much appreciated will NOT be purchasing these. Barnett’s has a kit I’ll pick up instead AND mic them against the stock set before proceeding. Thx for the 411

Latest posts