Front end difference

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramchargerjay

Reaction score
What all is different between the 75-77 and the 78-79 GL1000 front ends, besides the obvious spoke/Comstar rims. I’ve got a 78 that I know for sure has a 75-77 front fender but I’m not sure what else is early model or even how to tell. It does seem like something with the brakes isn’t quite right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 75-77 in most respects is a twin to the cb750 front end of that era,except for the obvious differences,like the width and rotor offset.the 77 and up front end is a different animal altogether.an example being,I have the aluminum 75-77 rim on my 750.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Iirc,the 75-77 tubes are 35mm,I believe the later tubes are larger,maybe 37mm

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

It's been a while guys, but hello to the new forum look.
On the front forks:
The fork tube/pipe/stanchion is the same for all years at 37mm
Triple tree/yokes are the same
The fork spring (cushion in Honda terminology) is different but interchangable.
Bottom sliders (case): 78-79 are longer and have different (shorter) brake caliper bracket bolt spacing.
From that, obviously the caliper brackets are also different.
Internal damping rods are different but interchangable
The 78-79 has thinner stamped brake discs, so the calipers and pistons are also different.
78-79 front fender has slightly longer brackets to match the longer sliders and a different lower support bracket with a slight bend at the end of each arm for the same reason. Also has the speedo cable holder on the opposite side.
Front axle is the same, but spacers, nut and speedo drive are different. Speedo drive changed right to left on 78-79.
Axle clamps are the same all years.
Seals and dust covers are same all years.
I think that's all. Bet I've missed something!