Water-hammer in my 81 Goldwing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnold

Reaction score
Water hammer is a term used by plumbers when you turn on a faucet abruptly and a loud, stacatto hammering sound is heard in the pipe. That's what my 81 Goldwing sounds like when I transition from idle to higher revs. I almost have to feather the throttle gently to bypass that brief, but unnerving condition. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Do you have a cure?
My past posts have been about getting the gold wing to idle, so you know I have taken the carbs apart and cleaned them, so it idles fine. It's just that transition that is bumpy. It runs very well in the middle and high rev ranges. :(

:headscratch: Are you talking about a steady miss at that particular rpm(s)?

Ah! It could be that. they say 90 percent of problems are electric. I have new irridium plugs in but I don't know the history of the plug wires, coils, ignitors, etc. It could be misfiring.

Do I have to pull off the rear wheel and gas tank to access the spark advance unit? Will a shot of WD-40 cure it? :shock:

I've experienced what sounds like a hammering if one cylinder is not firing. It can sound pretty bad.
I've heard it in the lower rpms, say over about 3k rpm's is quiet.

It came down to a partially clogged idle circuit.

(Changed post title year '91 to '81)

Latest posts