Timing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lew1701

Reaction score
Just found this forum and am hoping someone can help me. I have a '77 GL1000, had to replace the head gaskets but in doing so we screwed up the timing and have no idea how to correct it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to the CGW forums, first!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Check out Roady's excellent Front engine renewal Project for a step-by-step on replacing the timing belts(among other things!), which will have the info you need.
Also, there have been a couple of threads in the past week or so with the same issues...check those out too, as they seem to have some similarities. :mrgreen:

lew1701":30kihm11 said:
Just found this forum and am hoping someone can help me. I have a '77 GL1000, had to replace the head gaskets but in doing so we screwed up the timing and have no idea how to correct it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forums.

I suspect you mean the engine has been rotated or the cams turned when the heads were off and thrown everything off timing.
Basically you first need to back the valve adjusters all the way loose then rotate the engine to move the pistons away from top to keep from hurting the valves, then rotate the cams so the word "Up" is up. Now you can rotate the engine to #1 top and set the belts. If the crank is off of "1" or "2" Top then just rotate the cams to "Up" and set the belts. Hopefully none of the valves have already been bumped.

Yeah what Dan and AApple said.. having recently done this project.. here is what I have found.. on mine when the mark is set at T1 on the crank and (if) the arrows are pointing outward.. the UP on mine was actually to the inward side of both cams at the top of the geears.. about 2 and 10 on a clock ... look real close and the timing mark will be at the BOTTOM of a tooth... NOT NOT NOT at the top of a tooth.. the groove at the top of the tooth I belieive is for the F1 mark on the crank.. several of us who have recently done the belts on here and another forum have found that the right side cam gear timing mark is almost a blemish or pimple on the right side (left as you look from front) gear.. it is one tooth and 1/2 above the groove mark in the pulley.. (don't ask me how I know..) after 30 mins of fooling with the valve adjusments I realized that I USED THE WRONG MARK!!! and found the blemish.. take a picture of both pulleys under strong light and you will see what I am talking about.. also the gears may be double marked..L on one side and R on the other..

Well the new head gaskets are in...new cam belts are on and timing is dead on. The ol' girl has come back to life, took it for a test ride and it damn near jumped off the pavement. Thanks to everyone for all the great advise.

lew1701":32v1mi32 said:
Well the new head gaskets are in...new cam belts are on and timing is dead on. The ol' girl has come back to life, took it for a test ride and it damn near jumped off the pavement. Thanks to everyone for all the great advise.

Glad to hear the old girl is runnin good... Got any pics or video for us to see? :beg: :lol:

thats great weve had some bad outcomes lately on beltchanges .....plymouth il. we might close im in french lick in. its in southern in. ..... 1977 wing mines a 79

riping up the pavement ....boy i bet your feeling petty good on the outcome.....welcome to the CGW.....

lew1701":2gcb3wtu said:

:salute:

joedrum":1zlnkmn3 said:
thats great weve had some bad outcomes lately on beltchanges .....plymouth il. we might close im in french lick in. its in southern in. ..... 1977 wing mines a 79

riping up the pavement ....boy i bet your feeling petty good on the outcome.....welcome to the CGW.....
I know French Lick...home of Larry Bird!! I have to replace an O ring on one of the water inlet tubes and sync the carbs and she should be good as new. If it's not raining tommorrow I'll get that stuff done and get some pics up. Thanks again everyone for all the help.