Cleaning electrical connections

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a busy spring, and this headlight/starter problem has finally risen up the "To Do" list. It's been a cold and wet spring, so I haven't missed very much riding.
Have I mentioned before that I'm afraid of electrical work? Another reason it's been put off. Memorial Day weekend is my traditional once-a-year Wash & Wax of the bike. The Emgo switch had 4 of 6 wires that match color and function with the OEM switch. I started with the Start button.
OEM: Yellow/Red & Black Emgo: Yellow/Red & Green/Red
I twisted them together and tested; working.
Next was headlights.
OEM: Blue/White & Black/Red Emgo: Brown/White & Black/Red
I twisted them together and tested; NOTHING! :Awe:
This is why I hate electrical. Now what? I figure maybe its a relay. I don't know where a relay would be but I start under the hood. I see the fuse box and look at the 10A fuse for the headlight. It looks unburnt but there's something in there. I pull it out and find this.
DSC02789.JPG

DSC02790.JPG

Put in a new fuse and and the headlight works. What a surprise. Had I done this last October... So I finish upwith the red emergency shutoff.
OEM: Black & Black/White Emgo: Black & Black/White
Soldered, heat shrink and electrical tape wrap, and put it all back together and now I have a new switch. Got it started (always a crossed fingers moment in the spring) and we're ready to wash & wax. As the founders of Bartles and Jaymes would say, "Thank you for your support".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3LkWVqYecE

Latest posts