80 rear shock light

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 80 wing when driven over 30 mph. The warning light in the tach comes on,saying the pressure is low on the rear shocks.
Checked the pressure and it was at 30 psi.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

It might be that the sensor is not reading accurately, or the air pressure is actually below 30 psi. The range is 28 psi to 57 psi. I would try adding air to 40 psi and see if that makes a difference. When I had rear air shocks, I usually had 45 lbs of air in them for the best ride.

image.php

When I changed to coil spring shocks, I bypassed the switch by disconnecting the wire at the bullet connector, added a new short wire with a bullet connector at one end and a spade at the other end and then grounded the wire under the bolt that holds the plate:

image.php

If I didn't ground the wire, the light would stay on every time I rode past 5 MPH.

That pressure switch is so notoriously inaccurate it's almost stupid, so there are a lot of fixes.

1. Do what Gerry did.
2. Do what Dave did.
3. Cut the bulb wire.
4. Remove the bulb.
5. Get an early manifold that doesn't have the switch.

I'm going with #5 this time, the switch is just another place you can leak air from and that's it's only reliable attribute.

I think this lights setpoint just has something against us old un's, there you are, cruising around the neighborhood just trying to fine tune the thing to your liking, you find this sweet spot that feels good and lo and behold the light comes on. Now if you where cranking it into turns like a young un' you'd probably need it a little stiffer and the light probably; wouldn't come on.

Do ya think they're trying to tell us something? :swoon: