Another fork question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gc33

Reaction score
83 Aspencade forks with TRAC.... Are the fork tubes the same as the standard fork tubes. The ones I have are fairly pitted and checked out david silver honda and tubes they have are listed as non Aspencade.... And very difficult to get the tubes if that's the case....
Re-chroming properly with hard chrome will set me back more than the aspy cost... Get a set from ebay is not much different....
I also checked parts listing and are shown as different part nos...
Thoughts anyone?

Hmmmm tubes ate the same size but will the work in t he standard lowers
.im not sure or visa versa ...i had change tubes in a 93 once cause they were bent in a wreck but it was so long ago I can't remember a thing ..guessong I'd say I used standard fork tubes as teplacment in the Trac lowers ..

Did some digging regarding the front forks of the GL1100. These were increased from 37 (GL1000) to 39 mm (GL1100) and a travel of 5.6 inches. The '83 Aspencade has the same but travel is 5.8 inches, approximately 5 mm difference. Front rotors for the Aspencade are 300 mm whereas the early 1100 is 276 mm. Would be best to install the Aspencade forks as a unit. The TRAC system can be disabled. Would recommend using the larger front rotors of the Aspencade because of the placement of the calipers. Calipers should be the same.

If you can get a set or just the upper fork tubes to do a measurement would be best. Length is the issue, don't know if the additional length is in the upper or lower fork tube, could also be from the internal workings and not the length of the upper or lower fork tubes.

Good luck.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219014#p219014:gxkhrrbt said:
Two85s » Today- 16:13[/url]":gxkhrrbt]
I have some from a interstate if that helps.
My 81 forks are just standard so no probs there and the tubes are in good knick.
My 83 Aspencade forks tho are pitted and rusted. Not too bad so can be resurrected be hard chromer. My main concern was if the fork tubes were the same. I was looking at a set from David silver spares but they were listed as non Aspencade. Seemed strange. Honda wouldn't change that part unless upgrading to 1200. Part would've stayed generic right through I would've thought

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219015#p219015:1q5wt47p said:
Rednaxs60 » 7 minutes ago[/url]":1q5wt47p]
Did some digging regarding the front forks of the GL1100. These were increased from 37 to 39 mm and a travel of 5.6 inches. The Aspencade has the same but travel is 5.8 inches, negligible. Front rotors for the Aspencade are 300 mm whereas the early 1100 is 276 mm. To answer your question, fork tubes are the same. The TRAC system can be disabled. Would recommend using the larger front rotors of the Aspencade because of the placement of the calipers. Should be able to plug and play. Calipers should fit either way.
G'day Ernest. My 81 forks are in really Good knick and they will be staying with my 81 project.
My 83 Aspencade forks tho are rusted... Tho not badly, enough to bugger up the seals. I was trying to find out if the tubes were the same for both.
1200s are bigger in diameter so out of the question.
I've found a place in Queensland that will rechromed for $390 a pair.
Living in western Australia... A major mining state I would've thought the companies here the rechome machine hyd cylinders would do them at a reasonable price. But no. They want $800 a pair to do!! They're on drugs...

The Queensland mob are legends in forks and shocks. Find out about a fully rebuilt price while getting the rechroming done. Also if you need exhausts ceramic coated we have an excellent mob over here as well. If it helps you may be able to ship them all off to me and I can drop them off for you so that you can save on shipping to two different suppliers. I have wholesalers in the general area so can head over to that side of town if you need. :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219031#p219031:1x9uxwli said:
Ansimp » Today- 3:47[/url]":1x9uxwli]
The Queensland mob are legends in forks and shocks. Find out about a fully rebuilt price while getting the rechroming done. Also if you need exhausts ceramic coated we have an excellent mob over here as well. If it helps you may be able to ship them all off to me and I can drop them off for you so that you can save on shipping to two different suppliers. I have wholesalers in the general area so can head over to that side of town if you need. :yes:
Thanks mate... I'm getting a full set exhausts from overlanders.
As for getting fork sets over... I work away so waiting to get home so I can get a weight and costing of the shipping...
Im hoping to send both my sets over to be done...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219045#p219045:2fqzgy6l said:
Gc33 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:53 am[/url]":2fqzgy6l]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219031#p219031:2fqzgy6l said:
Ansimp » Today- 3:47[/url]":2fqzgy6l]
Thanks mate... I'm getting a full set exhausts from overlanders.
As for getting fork sets over... I work away so waiting to get home so I can get a weight and costing of the shipping...
Im hoping to send both my sets over to be done...
:good:

Winner winner.... Chicken dinner.. Lol...Finally a win.... Che ked auspost... Will get one of their parcel post tubes and fit my fork legs in and get sent over to Queensland to be reconditioned....
$390 for the pair.... Plus my shipping... :BigGrin: :BigGrin:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219116#p219116:5nlo4g2f said:
Gc33 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:38 pm[/url]":5nlo4g2f]
Winner winner.... Chicken dinner.. Lol...Finally a win.... Che ked auspost... Will get one of their parcel post tubes and fit my fork legs in and get sent over to Queensland to be reconditioned....
$390 for the pair.... Plus my shipping... :BigGrin: :BigGrin:
:good: