Time for another new front tyre. Shinko 777

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
When I was out at the dam on Thursday it became apparent that my Shinko A230 front tyre had seen better days. I chased up my Shinko supplier on Friday and due to COVID :doh: he only had a Shinko 777 in stock which was a 100/90x19 instead of a 110/90x 19 Tourmaster. I was indecisive about going to the smaller tyre size but as I am now running a Gl1000 front metal mudguard it actually fits better. I have heard good things about the 777 and even though I love my A230s I decided to give it a go. So far it seems to be really good I guess only time will tell.

I have the Tourmasters on my '85 - these are lasting a long time right now! :music: :music: Installed Tourmasters on the '85 1200 that I brought out from Ontario and liked the performance - put some 8000 Kms (5000 miles) on them and no noticeable wear. Tried Shinko tires on my 1800 when I had it and no joy. Company is good, been around for a long time.

I don't know about Shinko tires but when I wanted to match my rear Michelin Commander II rear with a front tire I found out they didn't make a 120, only a 110. I Um'd and ah'd about it for a while and then finally did it. And from what I could tell, the slimmer tire just seems to make the front end react a little quicker.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219430#p219430:2q8gajq6 said:
chilidawg » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:51 am[/url]":2q8gajq6]
I don't know about Shinko tires but when I wanted to match my rear Michelin Commander II rear with a front tire I found out they didn't make a 120, only a 110. I Um'd and ah'd about it for a while and then finally did it. And from what I could tell, the slimmer tire just seems to make the front end react a little quicker.
I have been impressed with the Shinko A230 Tourmasters on the Rats Nest since my first ride on them in 2013. I am currently running one on the front of the Valkyrie as well and that has been great so far. I wasn’t that impressed with the Shinko Journeymaster that I had fitted to the rear of the Valkyrie and it has currently gone to the Darkside. I can’t get a 777 in the rear size but I was assured that Shinko are happy to run their two different series tires together. :whistling: