Starter Clutch Issue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rode my roofed-wing today. It's been a month and a half.
IMG_20201216_105750915_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201216_105853704.jpg

IMG_20201216_105909361.jpg

While cranking the engine, starter clutch failed to engage several times.

SO... what should I do? Will it cure itself if I keep riding?
Or do I need to get to it?
Please don't tell me I need to drop the engine out of the frame again... :beg:

There's no magic fix for this. The starter clutch is in the back of the rotor where there is little oil flow as you probably know. My thoughts are the main reason for this issue is the spring, it's much like a ball point pen. New ones do make a difference, but should be a bit heavier for the work it does.

Click the start button while it’s running. Over-running clutch so it won’t hurt anything but the chain will convey some oil to the area where it’s needed.

Rumor has it that an oil change can help with this. Sometimes going to a different weight oil will also make them work. Never had the issue on either of mine, but there have been several discussions about it here.

Thanks all.
I will change oil and do starter buttun trick.

I noticed that the engine didn't start until I released the starter button.
I suspect too much current required for cranking and not enough juice left for ignition.
I believe I put 20W-50 oil. I will revert back to 15W-40 or even 10W-30.
The battery is an year old and on the tender all the time but maybe not in a best condition..

I've run up to a quart of MMO in the oil and it seemed to really help. On one with a BAD stuck clutch, way over-fill including MMO and run the front wheel up a ramp to tilt the engine back so the oil can drain back to the back. Don't start it while over-filled! But, when drained down it must have soaked or got enough up there that it began catching and starting better and better, and after ~100 miles it was fine.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220371#p220371:l3kbne05 said:
pidjones » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:13 pm[/url]":l3kbne05]
I've run up to a quart of MMO in the oil and it seemed to really help. On one with a BAD stuck clutch, way over-fill including MMO and run the front wheel up a ramp to tilt the engine back so the oil can drain back to the back. Don't start it while over-filled! But, when drained down it must have soaked or got enough up there that it began catching and starting better and better, and after ~100 miles it was fine.

Ahhh good idea.
Unfortunately I have already changed oil. So if this oil change and starter button push while engine running doesn't do the trick, I will try MMO.

I load-tested the battery (with cheapo HF tester) and it was good.
My XS750 behaves similarly (when the battery is tired, the starter motor cranks and cranks but no ignition) but it got a kick starter which always starts the engine.

So a bit concerned why cranking requires so much current. I hope 10W30 oil helps. Will try it tomorrow morning.

Started engine this morning. (Ambient temp. 63F)
It did NOT start until I released the starter button. The voltage went down to aound 10V while cranking.
This should NOT happen with a good battery, correct?
The load-test yesterday was in the afternoon so not really cold-cranking situation I guess.
Oh, maybe it is a starter motor. I will disassemble and clean up.

Also starter clutch still mis-behaves. Fails to engage, spins freely, then engages with a racket. Thus the next attempt works.
Well I guess I should try MMO or disassmbly.
I can still buy starter clutch spring.

Clipboard01.jpg

Check that the ballast resistor bypass circuit is clean and functional. It supplies full voltage to the coils while cranking, then lets it go through the resistor when you release.