The Turd fired up...literally

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
So I went out today to fire up the Turd and let it run for a while. It hasn't been run in a couple of months. It fires up after a little cranking, and then this happens...
https://youtu.be/Pc0bMKvlYow

WTF??? Only lasted a couple of minutes. Dang thing was only running on 1, maybe 2 cylinders...damn carbs. Wondering what the hell was throwin sparks out the tailpipe??

was it running half ways decent ? in other words was it trying to clean out and run smoother ? maybe a critter was trying to make a home up in there, just my thoughts, we have had alot of mice nest's get blown out of our sled's exhaust's over the years because they sit for long periods of time, I've never had that problem with the Wing though.

Shooting sparks out the exhaust is never a good thing. But, hot rust will break off and shoot out like sparks (exhaust sitting too long and got rusty?)

youtube mangled the video. In my original, you can see more sparks, and one hot spot inside the exhaust right at the outlet. Only lasted maybe two minutes, and then cleared up. The carbs are all screwed up AGAIN, from sitting so long without running, so I'll hafta pull the dang rack and go thru them AGAIN. You would think I would learn my lesson, but...NO. :Doh2:
I'm guessing the sparks are from rusty metal in the pipes. I try to let it run every time long enough to burn out any moisture, but the bike sits on the deck(it does have a full roof), under two covers. Rain, and general humidity can still create issues.