Corrosion in the centre stand support frame

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
I guess I am just really old school but I love having a centre stand on my bikes especially if they have a chain drive as it just makes servicing so much easier. I know they are a weight and handling issue when pushed really hard but I love having my bikes parked level especially when using all the storage in my Vetter panniers and top box. I recently started using the pegs to climb on the Rats Nest while on the centre stand which was fine for the last couple of years until recently. The bike felt a lot less stable especially if I leant to the right on it while supported on the centre stand. Looks like I have a rusty stress fracture in the frame support rail for the centre stand. I did try searching for other members fixes but so far haven’t come up with too much detail. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
At this stage I am leaning towards grinding the crack and using the mig to weld it up from underneath. I am pretty sure the correct way to repair it would be to completely strip the frame and cut out the offending section and re-sleeve it. This will not be happening because I want to be able to keep riding my favourite bike without taking it off the road for ages. :yes:

Sorry to hear of your trouble, Tony. Can't help you with the preferred repair other than to say it doesn't look terrible on the outside. If it were me, I'd do the same and grind and fill the crack for now.

But, I am the polar opposite. I very much dislike centerstands and remove most of them. The CBX still has one, but I can't think of another one I have currently. Besides, the GL centerstands probably rank among the ugliest...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220970#p220970:10pqq097 said:
desertrefugee » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:42 am[/url]":10pqq097]
Sorry to hear of your trouble, Tony. Can't help you with the preferred repair other than to say it doesn't look terrible on the outside. If it were me, I'd do the same and grind and fill the crack for now.

But, I am the polar opposite. I very much dislike centerstands and remove most of them. The CBX still has one, but I can't think of another one I have currently. Besides, the GL centerstands probably rank among the ugliest...
:hihihi:
When I was considering a CB1300 I was preferring a naked with a centre stand which was an optional extra. :doh:

The crack looks to be part of the frame where the centre stand is attached. Whether you like a centre stand or no, this part has to be fixed. I would think you would have to grind out the old, and weld in a new piece that forms to the round over this area.

Had the same crack, in the same spot, on the Turd.

Cleaned it up, twisted it back into position, and had the muffler shop guy next door put a nice bead on it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220977#p220977:62rio5lr said:
AApple » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:28 pm[/url]":62rio5lr]
Had the same crack, in the same spot, on the Turd.

Cleaned it up, twisted it back into position, and had the muffler shop guy next door put a nice bead on it.

I knew that someone had been there before me Joel. How did you figure out the twist to take out and was it just welded from underneath in situ? :good:

Was yours on the rh side or the lh Joel? Did you drill drain holes to avoid future corrosion?

Starting around post #23 on my Johnny 5 build thread. I just had a friend cut that whole section out of the '78 frame and replace it with a good section from a '79.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220980#p220980:2y4nod4c said:
Ansimp » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:49 am[/url]":2y4nod4c]
Was yours on the rh side or the lh Joel? Did you drill drain holes to avoid future corrosion?

Right side, no new holes drilled. Used a jack on the bolts to put enough pressure on the tube to twist it back into position as far as I could get it. Welded it from underneath, tho on a lift at the time. The dang center stand is still hard to get off of, because the tube is twisted so far. The stand portion is angled too far to the rear, so it makes it hard to flop the bike off. I glued some washers between the stand and the stop/support to help with that....so far it's been ok. Apparently, putting the bike on center stand(and doing the rocking horse move to get it off center stand) twists that shaft/frame portion, and eventually it cracks. They really should have a beefier tube there, or something.

I Injected more than 400 ml liquid tectyl fluid in the several holes of the frame and turned it "X" times 360 degr. (2 axes / directions) to enable it to reach / soak each corner of the frame's inner side.............

IMGP1017.jpg

IMGP1447.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220986#p220986:350khet0 said:
AApple » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:48 am[/url]":350khet0]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220980#p220980:350khet0 said:
Ansimp » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:49 am[/url]":350khet0]

Right side, no new holes drilled. Used a jack on the bolts to put enough pressure on the tube to twist it back into position as far as I could get it. Welded it from underneath, tho on a lift at the time. The dang center stand is still hard to get off of, because the tube is twisted so far. The stand portion is angled too far to the rear, so it makes it hard to flop the bike off. I glued some washers between the stand and the stop/support to help with that....so far it's been ok. Apparently, putting the bike on center stand(and doing the rocking horse move to get it off center stand) twists that shaft/frame portion, and eventually it cracks. They really should have a beefier tube there, or something.
:thanks:

Since I repaired/replaced the centerstand, I have been limiting use of the centerstand to only when performing maintenance on the rear tire or similar since I installed a Bates ride-off stand. The ride-off stand was one of the best investments I made!

image.php