Gassy smell

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaWing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got my 2nd GL. The first was an 82, this one is an '87.

After getting it home, I noticed it smells a little gassy, like the smell you get when you flood an engine.

Toward the end of my ride home (about 80 miles) the bike kept stalling at lights. Started right back up though. It was even stalling on prolonged gear shifts, but would restart when I released the clutch. I could keep it running by applying a bit of throttle.

The PO said he had gotten the bike cheap after it sat for 5 years and all he had done to get it going was take off the carbs and clean them, (said it was pretty dirty in there.

The P.O. said that he couldn't quite get it to idle right, but a tiny bit of choke would keep it idling good.

Any suggestions? I'm going to try adjusting idle myself in the morning, after I warm it up a bit, and hope the PO just hadn't warmed up the engine before trying to adjust the idle.

I'd appreciate any sage wisdom though.

This bike is beautiful! Only 48,000 miles on it!

Add 1 ounce of ATF to every gallon of gas you put in and ride it. When you go downhill let off the gas and coast a bit. Don't slow traffic just force the carbs to use the slow jets that way.

Those slow jets are the first to plug up from dried up gas. I had it happen after just 2 months sitting.
Sounds like you might be able to get away with putting a bunch of miles on it with atf in the fuel. Several tank fulls. I’ve read others have had success with Seafoam.

An over-rich/flooding issue can cause the same you’re experiencing.
Have a look in the carb plenum with the air filter removed and running. A tell tale sign of flooding from gas level too high in the float bowls is a wet plenum. Might have a look at the plugs also. Wet plugs are a clue.

Seems better now. Adjusted the idle and then was able to quit using the choke. I think the choke was flooding it a bit, if that's possible? I think the PO tried adjusting the idle when the bike was cold.