New To Me - Second 1985 Limited - New Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a bugger for punishment (pardon the vernacular), I have purchased a second 1985 Limited Edition. Originally I bought this as a parts bike as it has been sitting idle since late 2014; however, the PO sent me a picture of the bike before he had some electrical problems with it.

Rockland 1985 LTD 002.jpg

The PO also sent me the invoices for the work he did on the bike. He had a new starter installed, rebuilt the rear shocks, replaced one set of front pads (would have thought to do both myself), installed progressive springs in front forks and parts as required, and put on new tires. He then had some electrical issues such as blowing the clutch diode and from a look at the pictures he sent me, stator issues as well. I have discussed the bike with him at length for information on engine maintenance and the likes. He did not have the timing belts changed so that is on my upcoming list. The PO told me was glad I would resurrect the bike instead of parting it out.

From the above picture and some others the PO sent me, the seat and leather parts appear to be in good shape - not cracked. The parts he had off the bike were covered in plastic and kept out of the elements. Here are some pictures of the new to me bike.

False Tank With Travel Computer.jpg

Right Side Looking Aft 1.jpg

Front Fairing looking Forward Right Side Shot.jpg

Front Fairing looking forward.jpg

My brother has it stored in northern Ontario (Canada) for me. He was gracious and drove the 500 Kms to pick it up for me - owed me a favour.

I am putting a list of items to be addressed this coming year so I can get it on the road and ride it back here to Victoria.
Items needed/want to replace:

Timing belts - Gates T070
Clutch lever bushing
New clutch diode
Alt conversion
Rebuild front/rear calipers
New front/rear brake pads
Flush brake and clutch hydraulics
Coolant flush
New fuel filter
Engine oil/filter change
New diff oil
FD removal - clean and lube with moly
New exhaust header gaskets - drop for alt install and rear bike work

May also do some small mods such as 12 VDC mod to coils, check grounds, especially grounding strap to engine, and put in test points for TPS, etc. Have asked my brother to take specific close up pictures so I can look at the bike in some detail and get a better picture of the work required. Will get my brother to get a picture of the inside of the fuel tank as I know there may be some rust buildup.

I have a price list from the work done on my '85 and cost to me to get it safe for the trip back is approximately $500.00. for the parts above. I never count my labour. I expect to have a 3 week work window (including road testing) with a 5 to 10 day trip back to Victoria - looking at a approximately 4 weeks to do this. My brother looses his garage for the time I am working. Makes me think of virgilmobile and his resurrection of his 1500 - way different, but getting the old girl going after a lengthy hiatus.

I do not intend to give this new bike the full refurbishment that I did on my existing '85, but I do want it to safe for the road and as trouble free at minimal expense. Once I get it home, and it becomes my second ride, I do expect that in the fullness of time it may get several upgrades to bring it closer to original condition.

If the bike works out as the picture shows, will have to search for another "parts" bike. Going to need another garage to store all these gems. I'm a believer in that with an older bike, you will have down time and need another bike to ride in the interim. As long as this one is safe for the road it will fit the bill. Another consideration here in BC is tha I can licence this new to me bike as a collector and only pay approximately $300.00 for insurance. Two bikes - $600.00 - not bad deal. My brother also mentioned that he cleaned it up from the road trip, and other than some cosmetic work on the plastics, he was impressed with the state of the bike after sitting so long.

Will keep this thread going as I progress.

Have a safe and happy holiday season.

Cheers

This is going to be interesting. My friends think I'm a bit off the mark, but a man has to have something to keep the brain engaged in retirement. I do like having a challenge and get a fantastic sense of accomplishment from what I do.

Have a wee glitch in my LTD here in that I can't get the signals to self cancel with an OEM flasher. Have read that it has to do with the cornering relay. Waiting for a time slot to investigate. Have signals with a regular flasher.

However, I digress.

As an aside, for Ansimp - son-in-law sent me a site on riding around Australia, how long it would take, and the various side trips to take. Quite a good write up. Figure 3 months would be nice. Ship the bike over and go.

Cheers

Thanks for the support. I do not intend to get into it the same as I did with the one I have out here, at least not at the start.

Front fork oil change has been recommended. Think I'll also change the starter solenoid for a newer blade fuse style and change the in-line 30 amp dog bone fuse to the blade type as well. The bike has approximately 101K Kms on it - just getting broken in.

It was recommended to have a good look at the right rear wheel bearing - very aware of this issue. Still pondering the change to a 1500 rear, but these are not that plentiful here north of the border and on the island. Could also do the '86 SEi fix as well.

My brother does not want to get into doing some work on the bike, but maybe I can coerce him into it. Would be nice to make sure the engine does turn. With some good long distance direction, I think I can get him todo a few things. Once he gets me the pictures I want, should be able to get a few more things done, or planned.

These little things can make the difference between the ride from hell, or an enjoyable cross country trip.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185392#p185392:2fk283b3 said:
mcgovern61 » Today, 6:37 am[/url]":2fk283b3]
That '85 sure will be worth the time spent. I love how the '85 rides, smooth....... :moped: :yes:

My '85 that I ride now is about 98% as smooth as my 1800. It is way more fun, easier to work on, and looks like a bike - no disrespect to the 1800 crowd.

Cheers

Another glutton for punishment! :yes: !Great to have a fellow village idiot. :yahoo: Welcome :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185407#p185407:kdz7sdz3 said:
Rednaxs60 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:15 pm[/url]":kdz7sdz3]
Get bored just riding and not fixing! :Egyptian: Sad state of affair(s) when all you have to do is turn the key, start the bike and ride! :music:

Cheers
Wouldn't have that problem if you lived in my neighborhood. Lots of projects here. :BigGrin:

Going to be quite the conversation piece having two of these together and both on the road.

Have started purchasing the parts needed to bring the old girl to life, and get it out here relatively trouble free.

Mentioned to my brother that I might just keep the 1800, put it into long term storage for future use. It's paid for, has some great upgrades that I did such as Traxion suspension (full Monty), chrome rims (the OEM anodized aluminum rims are a pain to keep clean, and the seat was customized to suit me. Bring it back in a few years when the 1200s get tired. It would be another project to research - finding out as much information as possible to preserve it properly. Topic of another thread - lots of research to do before posing the new thread.

These bikes are fun, and keep the brain box alive and kicking.

Cheers

Red, I put my 1100 in long term storage for about 5-7 years. (Had ridden less than 100 miles the last year; babies, crazy work, etc.) I filled the gas tank and added double strength fuel stabilizer, disconnected battery, and then added several GALLONS of oil to the engine, then put a note over the key hole reminding myself that I had put several GALLONS of oil in the engine! :shock: My thinking was I wanted the rings andf bearings bathed in oil if I could. When I resurrected it, It smoked like all get out for a bit, but essentially came out the other side just fine. Its now 35 years old and running great without any overhaul. FWIW, Dave

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185667#p185667:zs9vi3cd said:
D-50Dave » Today, 3:02 am[/url]":zs9vi3cd]
Red, I put my 1100 in long term storage for about 5-7 years. (Had ridden less than 100 miles the last year; babies, crazy work, etc.) I filled the gas tank and added double strength fuel stabilizer, disconnected battery, and then added several GALLONS of oil to the engine, then put a note over the key hole reminding myself that I had put several GALLONS of oil in the engine! :shock: My thinking was I wanted the rings andf bearings bathed in oil if I could. When I resurrected it, It smoked like all get out for a bit, but essentially came out the other side just fine. Its now 35 years old and running great without any overhaul. FWIW, Dave

Dave - thanks for the input. Oil never hurt anything, especially new oil. I'm thinking about using fogging oil in the cylinders that snowmobilers use when parking their sleds for the off season. One of the reasons for my thoughts on keeping the bike is the limited market here on lower Vancouver Island. Guys go more for the adventure bike, BMWs and HDs. If you are a young person it is also about economics, something like buying a house here. Too bad the perception is that a GW is an old person's bike and a heavy bike to boot. Have to take the rear off to get at the prop shaft and lube up the complete rear drive.

Thanks again. Cheers

Spent the weekend in northern Ontario, rather barbaric part of Canada at -35° C, for Mom’s 85th birthday and to give the new to me bike a good going over.

Moved the bike from cold storage into my brother’s heated garage, but had to remove the front calipers to allow the front wheel to turn. Calipers are on the list to be rebuilt.

Once in the garage did a survey to make sure all the parts and pieces that make it look like a bike were there. Most of the parts such as the fairings, false tank rear bags were in good shape. Paint peeling on the front fairing, and a small bit of damage to the rear trunk, not a big issue.

Looked at the state of the wiring, almost original except for an installed 12 VDC receptacle, now removed. The stator/RR wiring at the RR location looked burnt and is in terrible condition. Someone had done the hard soldering of all stator/RR wires. Will be installing the alt mod, do not need electrical power issues when on the road. Cost is like that of a stator and do not have to remove the engine.

Looked inside the fuel tank for rust, crud, etc and the tank is extremely clean considering it has been sitting in cold storage for two years.

Checked the fuel shut off valve to see if it would leak when moved, no leaking seen – good news, and made sure it was in the ON position. This fuel valve on these fuels injected models only needs to be closed when working on the fuel system.

There is an original fuel filter installed, will replace with new.

Hooked up a battery to the bike and turned it on. Lights came on and dash lit up, sort of. There was no neutral light or gearshift indication. There was no gearshift indication when put in gear. Replaced the clutch diode as it had gone defective on the PO, but still no change in dash indicators.

Checked the CFI computer for error codes and there were none. Good indication of things to come - I hope.

Turn signals and cornering lights worked as expected, as did the brake light.

Checked the horn and no joy. Will investigate this further. The original horns are not very loud - may replace with FIAMMS Freeway Blasters as I did on my other ’85.

Noticed that the clutch lever did not feel as it should, did not engage until almost at the bar. Bled the system, fluid was very discoloured and thick. Got the clutch fluid flushed and the clutch lever felt ads it should. Had to move the bike with it in gear and it moved, but very reluctantly. Intend to clean and rebuild the clutch slave, but not the MC (rebuilt the clutch MC on my other ’85 and is still not quite right. I did notice that the return hole on this clutch MC is not plugged.

Noticed that the fuel pump did not come on and pressurize the fuel system. Checked the power circuit, and the 30 amp dog bone fuse disintegrated when I took it off. Joined the wires together for test purposes – new 30 amp blade fuse to be installed. Checked the power to the fuse block and then down to the fuel pump. There is power at the fuel pump so I’m inclined to think a new fuel pump is in order.

When I hit the start button, all sorts of things happened. The headlights went off as expected, but there was a huge power draw immediately. Started to investigate. Disconnected the starter from the solenoid and tried again. The starter solenoid was not “clicking” so a new starter solenoid is needed. Noticed that this solenoid did not look the best from pictures the PO supplied when I bought it so I had ordered and had on hand a new solenoid. Installed it and the circuit worked as expected.

Checked the starter with it disconnected from the starting circuit and it still did not turn.

The PO told me and provide the invoices for the install of a new starter. Expected the starter to work, but no joy. Took the starter off and apart, did a quick cleaning and put it back together. When I had it apart, I noticed the armature was in very rough shape. I compared it to photos I had of the starter armature from my other bike, and it was in worse condition. I talked to the PO later and he informed me that it was a new starter in 2015 and he only rode the bike for another four months before it was put out in cold storage. I informed him that I did not believe it was a new starter considering that it was in worst shape than the one on my other bike, and that he was probably scammed. He mentioned that he is mechanically challenged and as such, is at the mercy of the shop.

The PO owner also mentioned that the reason he changed the starter was because he was having starting issues that sounded like the Bendix going on a car. He was told it was the starter clutch (sprague clutch) and that it would be approximately $1000.00 to fix. He decided to live with it, and with the new starter installed he rode it for a while. It was approximately four months after the starter was installed that he rode it one day and the next it would not start. He had bought a 2000 GL1500 as well and since this one was giving him grief, he put it away in cold storage and it stayed there until I bought it.

Will be back to my brother’s in a couple of months and will be doing some more work on the bike. I have a spare starter (another story) that I can install. I’ll order up a new fuel pump and install. Hopefully after this it will turn and even fire.

When I return in a couple of months I will have more time. Will do most of the maintenance items I have identified, start on the brake calipers, install new starter, fuel pump and fuel filter. Hopefully after this it will roll over and fire. Need to know it will run. If successful, may have enough time to do additional work. Have to take out the rear, clean and lube all splines. Will look at the rear wheel bearings.

May order in a new gearshift indicator, and starter clutch springs, pins and rollers. Since the clutch did not work right could look at it. Taking the engine out would allow me ease of timing belt change, and start on the alt mod as well.

Even if the end result is to use bike as a parts bike everything being done will be available to keep the other ’85 going.

My next visit will tell. More to follow.