My oldwing has a weep hole oil leak

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBarTeam

Reaction score
It's about a month ago it started slowly to leak some drops to the garage floor leaving a track with less than a inch (~2.5cm) diameter when getting cold. Now the leak goes on when the engine is cold leaving that track per day even when not used some days. There's no oil in the expansion bottle or coolant mixed in the oil leak. I have read some answers here in the forum about it and i suspect i'll have to change the water pump with the gaskets, seals and o-rings. How fast should i react? May i wait 'till winter when the leaks doesn't get bigger doing maybe 2000-3000km or should i do it next?
Thnx for your answers
Greez
Joebarteam

Remove the lower Coolant hose housing from the front of the trans cover and see how much if any play there is of the impeller shaft and base your decision on urgency of replacement on what you find. If there is no play in the shaft, it could be just the mechanical seal seeping but it will eventually start to leak more and need replacement

Replace the pump as soon as practical, after all it's over thirty years on the job. How many car's have you seen that were more than thirty & on their original water pump more than likely? Fix it, so you can forget about it, you can rebuild the original if the impeller is in good shape.

Ok, thanks for the answers. I'll read with care all the how's to dos in the forum, buy the needed pieces and do the work.
Joebarteam

I've had mine seep both oil and coolant occasionally, a few drops. Seems more so in colder weather. No cross contamination. I'm not doing anything about it unless it gets worse.

I may wait in this case. The engine temp stays normal and the amount of drops doesn't allready scary me. I try your way and keep an eye on it.

hi oldwing fans
i am in the same position as i startet this thread. my water pump still gives some drops per day. the amount hasn't changed so i decided last winter to continue doing nothing with the exception of planing what and how to do when i'll start the rep. the seal ring and/or the o-ring near to the seal ring are to replace say the pictures i found in the gallery. i did not find a tutorial about mechanical steps to do.in the honda manual the engine is out of the bike and i supose and hope the engine may stay in the bike for this work.
do you know more?
greez
joebarteam

One thing is to trace the front cover and when a bolt is removed place it in the location it was removed from, on the trace. The bolt lengths are not all the same.
First time I removed it was a slow and methodic process. Just pay attention to the parts and how assembled.
I might have some pics in my gallery that may help. :headscratch:
Make sure to lube the 'o' rings.

Best read I found is not a 1200 but it's close enough. It appears that pictures are missing. Maybe of help?
https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/v ... =76&t=2113

You'll do well

Hi,
that's perfect for my planning. thank you very much.
the differences of the gl1100 and gl1200 in this part of the engine shouldn't be to big, maybe they are quite the same.

greez
joebarteam

I'm in the middle of replacing my water pump right now. After buying a new pump and seal kit I was bummed to find the pump in fine condition, no play at all. Must be the seal between the water and the weep hole was starting to fail. At least now I don't have to worry about it failing in the middle of a 2000 mile trip.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202808#p202808:1uybdv03 said:
kerryb » Tue May 15, 2018 4:28 pm[/url]":1uybdv03]
I'm in the middle of replacing my water pump right now. After buying a new pump and seal kit I was bummed to find the pump in fine condition, no play at all. Must be the seal between the water and the weep hole was starting to fail. At least now I don't have to worry about it failing in the middle of a 2000 mile trip.

Where are you going now?

Regards;

Tom

Does it spin freely??? Seen them with no play at first look, but hard to turn the pump itself out of the bike of course. Rust never sleeps, hope your right about your pump, & just a bad thought, on my part. Check anyway.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202808#p202808:1fq4k0nu said:
kerryb » Tue May 15, 2018 5:28 pm[/url]":1fq4k0nu]

I'm going to tellico plains Tennessee again to camp with the "motocampers" group again. It's the annual Cherohala chillout. Ride the skyway, the dragon, and a whitewater rafting run. This year, the extracurricular activities will be to visit a couple vw trike sellers to see if one suits my desires and pocketbook. Won't know till the second weekend in June which states I'll visit...Kentucky, Tennessee, Delaware, or??? Call it a camping/hunting trip!

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread!

Oops, wrong quote button, supposed to be the one where PurpleGL asked where I'm going this time :head bang:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202817#p202817:1nalca9r said:
Denver » Wed May 16, 2018 9:12 am[/url]":1nalca9r]
Does it spin freely??? Seen them with no play at first look, but hard to turn the pump itself out of the bike of course. Rust never sleeps, hope your right about your pump, & just a bad thought, on my part. Check anyway.

This pump came out of an '83 aspencade afflicted with wax deposits from being cleaned so much! 52k miles and wonderful condition. The pump spins and feels the same as the new one...go figure...
But once it was all apart, the new one went in for piece of mind.