'notchy' shifter feel

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveKamp

Reaction score
Hey all-

So my '84 GL1200 had 11,000 or so on the odo when I got it last year. I'm at a smidgen shy of 17K now, and on my second oil change. I'm getting a kinda bindy-notchy feel out of the shifter, like the engine isn't 'liking' the oil. Granted, I didn't have any Spectro Golden or Mobil-One on hand, I used a name-brand 10-30 automotive because I was in a location where fancy stuff wasn't immediately available. I'm thinkin' it probably wants something more special...

What're the 'favorites' for GL1200 owners, and why?

Automotive engine oils do not have the proper additives for the bike clutches to work properly, and sometimes that will create shifting issues as you describe. Change the oil to a motorcycle type oil, and it should help(after a few miles). I personally use Castrol 10/40 in my Goldwings these days. Seems to work just fine.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203189#p203189:2qgadm3b said:
dan filipi » Yesterday, 11:18 pm[/url]":2qgadm3b]
Yes. Helps smooth shifting on mine too.
Good to hear. That was cheapest at the local store and went with that this year for the oil change. :good:

Okay... I figued that a 'motorcycle' grade would be the formally-recommended type. I was directed to Spectro Golden in my CX500D three decades ago, and did so for several hundred thousand miles with excellent results, my plan was to find a product that suited the GL1200 in similar way.

I did this oil-change-only as a short-term measure (1500 miles) to flush out the internals, as this beastie sat for a LONG time... Situations like, particularly with aluminum engines, tend to cause the ph of the oil to drift a bit. I'll give it a couple more short-run changes and a filter or two with daily running before returning to normal change intervals.

I run diesel-engine grade 15-40 in my marine engines... never considered using it in motorcycles, but I can get some on my errands today, so I will!

By the way, Dave, I've run (I think) across your name before in the aether we call the internet. I'm assuming your moniker is consistent. Can't recall if it was a cycle site or not. Am I cracking up or do you haunt other such locations?

heh...

lessee... antique engines, tractors, boats... machine tools, welders... yeah, I haunt. :whistling: