synching 1200 carbs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusterdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1949 panhead,1972 cb750,1980 gl1100,1985 gl1200,1998 cbr600f3 and 2003 vulcan 1600 classic
im finally at the point where im ready to install my carbs back on the bike.question is,do i set the air/ fuel mixture with a vacuum gauge first or do i sync the carbs first and then check air/fuel mixture second?thanks

Really doesn’t matter, but I tend to use the idle mixture screws as a last fine tuning point. I don’t recall exactly how far out they should be on the 1200, but set that up as a baseline. I think it’s 2 1/2-ish… Not sure.

If you leave the sync gauges tied in, you can reconfirm that everything’s still balanced after that final touch up.

Groovy,thanks.that's what ill do

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

A little update,fired it up yesterday,of course its rough.but I hope syncing will correct that.one question,it did not want to start on choke with the plenum open,it did start and idle when I shot some carb cleaner into the plenum.should putting the air filter assembly on correct that issue?thanks

Ran it for about 5 minutes or so and its running better,it revs up good.going to mount the tires and bleed the brakes before I mess with the sync.

im finally at the point where im ready to install my carbs back on the bike.question is,do i set the air/ fuel mixture with a vacuum gauge first or do i sync the carbs first and then check air/fuel mixture second?thanks
Synch the carbs first to adjust the butterfly and the work on idle mixture.

The info posted may help upon reading the post.

Bikes this old, it can't hurt to have a few necromancers around...

Seriously though, he has a point, it helps people reading the thread even if the ones quoted are long gone in one way or another.

Ensure all pilot screws are all adjusted to the required turns and then do the synch, 1. All. carbs are to match the #4 carb, 2. Do the carbs in order #2, #1 and then #3, Rev the engine between carbs.

Are they sync'ed to #4 on 1200's? Interesting the earlier years were sync'ed to #3
I have an 84 GW and the Cylmers maintenance book say to conduct the synch in that order, the #4 carb is the only one without a synch screw and that is why the rpms are controlled thru the screw for low or higher rpms.