Heated Grips

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCrow

Reaction score
My Bike Models
GL1200A, R100RT, KL650
Hello Everybody!

I plan to ride my GL1200A into the Maine winter....... With a sidecar attached :)

I've done a near complete conversion of lighting to LEDs and math says I've freed up enough smoke to safely power my vest, chaps and some grips.
I'm looking at the Oxford 1" Premium grips which draw 48w over at Revilla https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-heaterz-premium-cruiser-heated-grips?sku_id=1289425 for $100.

Any suggestions on better or much cheaper but functional and reliable?
Thanks
OC

I believe the handlebars are 7/8" not 1" - if I am correct the grips you linked to are too large.

Definitely 7/8“ bars.

I’d also make sure that the stator wires have either been hardwired or the connector inspected, cleaned and dielectric greased. Similarly the charge line/connector going into the R/R. Your charging circuit will need to be optimized for sure. The weakest link of an otherwise outstanding motorcycle, the 1200, is that darn stator. I did a Poorboy conversion on my 84 Aspencade. Probably the best time and money I ever spent on that thing.

Thanks for the stator connection reminder. I cleaned them last year and they were pristine, but they has a hard year. I was lit up like a Christmas tree sometimes in WA and CA :BigGrin:
I'm going to put checking those connections on my annual check list.

Curious my bars, 1987 GL1200A, measure 1" where I'm able to measure, just after the switch gear and reservoir.
Thanks.
OC

If I am not mistaken the factory bars actually taper to 7/8" at the ends.

Let me suggest heated gloves vice the grips. That way the whole hand is heated. As I remember, they only pull ~9 Watts. But, you must use a controller or they will burn you up.

Believer45":jzcl9hmu said:
If I am not mistaken the factory bars actually taper to 7/8" at the ends.
Yes

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk