Electrical Gremlins

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-50Dave

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interstate battery is 3 years old. Was on a battery tender all winter. Topped off the cells as some were low. Has started strong the dozen times or so I've ridden this season.
After work, wouldn't start, not even dash lights, dead. Got a jump, ran well for the half hour ride home, with the Volt gauge slowly going up to 14 within 30 seconds after startup. Parked it for an hour (at the top of a rise just in case) and again no start. Bump started it and this time: dash lights dim, Volt gauge never better than 10, poor running with no power. Got within a couple of miles from home and it gave it up. After trying some roadside diagnosis and repair, put it in my tiny pickup truck (no mean feat) and got it home.
I'm thinking bad ground. The top back of the engine, where the negative battery cable mounts, is oily. I've lived with this minor leak for years. Other thoughts? My cousin is visiting from Phoenix and we're slated to go for a day-long ride on Monday. TIA, Dave

Pull the battery and take it to two auto parts stores for a free test. Use two - I'm not accusing any of trying to up sales, but sometimes their testers are faulty.

Follow the wires coming out of the back of motor on the left side ...three yellow wires till you get to the connector ..the there wire connector heats up and melts to the point of shorting out a lot of times
.these wires should be separated from each other and connected to where they don't come in contact...

I can remember at least 6 car batteries and 1 bike AGM battery that suddenly died like that. Weird too, ran fine, cranked over good then turned it off and next start not even on a hot or cold day, the starter just went 'click click' was it.