Gl 1200 Secondary Air System-USA models

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plugging of the heads where the secondary air tubes at the head would be simple, cut off the ends and weld up the side of the insert which has the o-ring.
Secondary Air Tube.jpg
Secondary Air tube 2.jpg
A block off plate would have to be made to the USA model plenum where the anti-afterburn valve mounts.
Stock USA 1200 Plenum.jpg

I can think of two off the top of my head, eliminating what is considered a smog control system and the other is making the removal and installation of the 1200 carbs easier. Remains to be seen whether it is beneficial or not, won't know until it's tried. The Canadian models must perform ok without it. Would be nice to learn the tuning differences between the USA and Canadian models.

When I had my Valkyrie it had tubes like the 1200 with a bunch of hoses. I took all the crap off and installed freeze plugs to block the holes. The bike ran fine and actually seem to run better, or maybe it was my imagination. LOL

I think it's worth investigating, from what I've read, the secondary air system was ill conceived and did not work as planned other than to dilute the emissions and fool the machines used to measure them, thereby allowing the bikes to meet the then current emissions standards. It was also reported that the only known difference by removing them was you sometimes got a smell of raw gas for some unknown reason but it was not something that happened all the time. The reason I'm interested in it is my plans to marry a small four barrel carb to a stock 1200 plenum anyway and the secondary air system would not be needed. That part is still on paper at this time.

From the description it really never had a use if the fuel mix was right and had sufficient spark to burn the charge.

I just happen to have my carb out of my 84aspencade for a rebuild, which i now think it doesnt need. Them carbies are prty clean in there. That carb rack makes my head hurt. Anyway, I dont know if it will help the performance but do u think it will hurt it? If yall think the bike will still run fine, and i wont need to re jet i would be willing to try it. I would machine plugs for the secondary tubes and just install em right in place. This way all my parts would still be in tact.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140248#p140248:2ce9bvo9 said:
backlander » Today, 6:42 pm[/url]":2ce9bvo9]
Here's the Hayne's write up of how the system is suppose to work Dan. gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1169&image_id=11945
So all its doing is introducing air into the exhaust.

Possibly having it in place could reduce the scavenging affect the exhaust has?
Guess only way to know is block them.

It's an unknown on this site as to what the outcome will be but on one other site I read the only difference was a smell of raw gas every once in a while but that easily could come from somewhere else. I trust what I read on classic, so if you try it I guess it would be a first attempt here. The bottom of the stock plenum would have to have the anti-afterburn valve mount blocked off but that would be a simple task. I wonder about the backfire possibility increasing, but that issue wasn't reported on the other site and apparently if's not a problem due to the fact that the Canadian models never had the system.

If you'r thinking of using plugs, this is the type of plugs I use on my Valk. Just get the right size for the hole and tap them in, they will not come out and they seal tight. If you look at the picture of the Valk motor, you will see the plug, different place but same idea.

Attachments

• th (1).jpg
    th (1).jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 387
  • right_after_1.jpg
    right_after_1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 390
I've seen a 1200 with those holes plugged, but it was only in a picture and they gave no description of how it ran. I have one sitting outback that i might just redo myself also, to see if there are any changes in anything. Maybe we can all throw something in this from each other and see what we get. I really hate them hoses too, such a pain.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140217#p140217:siqd98x1 said:
backlander » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:02 pm[/url]":siqd98x1]
The plugging of the heads where the secondary air tubes at the head would be simple, cut off the ends and weld up the side of the insert which has the o-ring. View attachment 2 View attachment 1 A block off plate would have to be made to the USA model plenum where the anti-afterburn valve mounts.
file.php

file.php

file.php

So the slow air valve would remain and simply plug up the anti afterburner valve?

Yes and you would also need to change the T joint to a straight connector on the vacuum tube which runs from the #4 carb to the slow air valve. That T feeds the anti after burn valve.

I was just gonna ask about that. So just run a straight shot from the inlet on the # 4 intake to the slow air valve? Are there any other lines that would need to get disconnected?