It's about time....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
...to cry about tire issues again.... :crying: :fiddle:

Yesterday, we had a little rain shower just before time to ride home for the day. I felt a little squiggle in the rear on a left handed sweeper shortly after leaving the shop...something this bike has never done. I figured it was prolly a low tire. Got home, checked the pressure in the rear, and sure nuff, it was low....about 20psi at the time. Luckily, I saw something shiny....it was something stuck in the tire, directly in the center of the tread, not far from the stem...otherwise, Ida never seen it. Pull it out, and it's what's left of a small machine screw. :head bang: Put a plug in it, and aired it up. Rode to werk this mernin, no problem. Checked the pressure about 3pm, and it was still at the 40psi I had put in it last nite. On the ride home, I had to stop in traffic, and it felt like I had stopped in a hole...no roll....tar wuz flat. No notice, just poof. Managed to get over to the right side of the freeway(rush hour traffic, of course), and got my air compressor out to see if it would air up before callin for a tow. Start airin it up, and it's taking air, but taking forEVER. So, I check the plug....it ain't there...it's GONE. WTF? Get my tire repair box out, and cram another plug into the hole, and it starts airin up completely. Got it to 40psi, and rode it on to the house. Just checked it again a few minits ago, and it still has 40psi, and sprayin the plug area doesn't show any bubbles, so it should be good for now. Already had a new E4 ordered for it...ordered it earlier today, and should have it in a couple of days.

Now...for the interesting part. Ya'll know how bad my luck has been with the tars on "The Turd"...never got much more than 6000 miles from ANY of them. These Dunlop E4s on the 1500 were put on in December of 2017, and the bike had 54,111 miles on it at the time. As of today, I have put 14,525 on these tires....and they both still have massive amounts of tread left. I could prolly get another 10,000 out of them, were it not for the screw job. I'm not really complainin, except I have to spend another $218 on a new tire that I shouldn't have to, but....poop happens. I'm surprised I haven't picked up something in one of them sooner. :yes:

Anyway, I'm a super fan of the E4 for this 1500....rides smooth, and lasts for many miles of smiles! :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210937#p210937:1extl35r said:
julimike54 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:25 am[/url]":1extl35r]
But tire problems must have moved from the Turd to the 1500?
I'm beginnin to think it isn't the tires that is the common denominator here........... :hihihi:

mcgovern61":2zvls06n said:
I'm beginnin to think it isn't the tires that is the common denominator here........... :hihihi:

:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

:hihihi:

Hmmm that is good mileage ...just goes to show you how bad the tires that are made for the turd really are ....lighter bike and all ...glad you had the plug kit great move there for sure

I love my “off road only” atv tire plug kit with co2 inflators. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210940#p210940:dhpfasl8 said:
AApple » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:20 am[/url]":dhpfasl8]
mcgovern61":dhpfasl8 said:

:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

:hihihi:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210938#p210938:17rqy3zu said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:00 am[/url]":17rqy3zu]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210937#p210937:17rqy3zu said:
julimike54 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:25 am[/url]":17rqy3zu]
But tire problems must have moved from the Turd to the 1500?

You may be onto something...

Impressive mileage on those tires! Dunlops may be pricey, but some of them wear VERY well indeed. . .

Dang it Joel, you’ve reminded me that I need to start thinking about tires again for the Valkyrie. They are Avons and have about 16K on them. There’s life left, but I darn sure would not start on a road trip with them.

Tire mounted, job completed. :builder:

Start...

Body flipped...

Wheel/tire off

Ever wonder what putting a plug(or 5) in a tire with Dynabeads will do? Now ya know...

Took me under 4hours this time, and part of that time was installing a make-shift bushing in the lower shock eyelet...it had none. Prolly the dang bump noise I been hearing since I bought this thing.... :doh:
Anyway, the deed is done, and I rode it home afterwards with no problems. :moped:

Latest posts