1992 1500 Goldwing Limited Anniversary Edition Rear brake

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichHW

Reaction score
Looking at buying from a guy, and perhaps driving home. But rear brake pedal doesn't work. Has fluid in resivoir. No reststance on pedal. It goes "to the floor".

I'm ignorant about this, and have a BMW with ABS power brakes, and front and rear connected togrther, etc.

I assume there is no ABS, and no power assist, and no front/rear interconnect - and the first step would be to bleed the rear lines? Any "special" way to do that?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I’m thinking the brakes are linked brakes ...hard to say what’s wrong ..but if home not far and you have good front brake you can probably get it home ...but that’s up to you ...

These are non-power assisted and no ABS.

Brakes can loose pressure just by sitting, but will come back to life after "pumping" them a few times....Usually.
What does the owner say about the history of this problem? It sounds to me like a dead master cylinder that needs rebuilt or replaced. Not expensive or all that difficult doing yourself. I'd first try bleeding them, might come back to life.

Thanks, Dan.

Owner (who I don't really know), says they worked when he parked it. Seems odd that they would take in air without loosing fluid, but I can't be sure someone didn't re-fill the reservoir.

Per your suggestion, if I can't get it to pump -up, I figured I'd see if I could either vacuum bleed air out at the caliper or pump from the master cylinder if there are no crossfeed-to-front or other issues. It seems that I need to remove the left saddlebag to get to the bleed port?

Rich

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

The 1500 has linked brakes. It is the left front and rear. Bleed front first then rear. The MC on the handlebar is for the front right only. There should be a round plug in the left saddlebag to get at the bleed screw for the rear caliper - there is on my '95. Taking the left saddlebag off does make it easier.

When I bought my '95 last year, rear brakes were almost non-existent. Rode it home some 100 Kms, behaved myself on the way.

Good luck.

Latest posts