Prepping for Summer 2020

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Into the maintenance and prep for this years excursions. We have decided that since the C-virus is an issue and being inundated with it daily, we are going to stay in Canada and travel to the east coast and back. Lots to see up here so it's going to be a good trip.

Have the 1500 apart and parts on order.

The speedometer stopped working. Speedo cable does not turn and the plastic gear in the gearbox assembly on the wheel is stripped. Have a new speedo cable and gearbox on order, should be here this week. Ordered exhaust gaskets for the mufflers. Supposed to be able to rotate the left muffler to get the rear wheel off. Cleaning the dirt off the bike as I go.

Decided to paint the accent plastics to freshen up the look. Have these done. It's a lighter blue than original, but the nice thing is I can look for a closer to OEM match and repaint if needs be. Here are a couple of pics of the painting results: This picture shows the difference in colour between the arm rest and speakers. The OEM colour is much closer to the arm rests but could not match in the time I have given.
Result isn't too bad, and will reserve judgement until bike is back together.
Rear Pockets.JPG
This picture shows the difference between the OEM colour on the left and new on the right. If nothing else, freshens up the look.
Rear%20Pocket%20Lids.jpg

Going to install new brake pads all round and I'm thinking a new front tire would be good before heading out. Trip across Canada will be approximately 12,000 Kms and there is already some 9K Kms on the front. Can always install it later to finish it off. Rather change in Victoria then have to do it on the road.

Have some ABS plastic to repair. Haven't done much ABS repair other than putting some glue on in spots on the 1500 and 1200. Going to fit some pieces and glue with an ABS slurry.

Oil and filter and all fluids will be changed before we leave. Rebuilt the clutch slave.

Cheers

We will be going to Dartmouth to visit Sonya's brother, have to do the Confederation Bridge and see the "Ann", and a ferry over to Newfy - lived in St John's for two years - want to see Gros Morne Park and L'Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site. There is apparently a museum there. Was in St Anthony in '74 before the good road from the south was in. Lived in NS for a total of 10 years.

As an aside, will probably find a few more items I will want to address before we set out. Has proven to be a good recipe for trouble free travelling.

Been working on the ABS repairs. It's not something I do everyday, but the repair results are promising. There are two spots I am working on. The left side panel has a securing tab missing and the upper corner is broken. Have filled in the corner with an ABS slurry, now have to sand and paint. Will prep and install the securing tab tomorrow. Here are the pics of the left side panel:
Left side panel tab and corner braoken.JPG
Left side panel corner repair.JPG
The left side front fairing bracket for the left side panel is missing a piece. Have cut and fit a piece of ABS to suit and will give it a shot of black paint tomorrow: Here are the before and after pics:
Left side fairing bracket.JPG
Left side fairing bracket repair.JPG
Have to take a panel in to get a colour match for painting.

Have replaced the front brake pads, rear to be done. New speedo cable and wheel gearbox assembly came in. Installed, waiting for road test to confirm it works.

More to follow.

Nice thing about ABS is that once the glue sets, bit cold right now so takes a little longer, has to break in a different spot. The trick I think is to sand the area you want to glue so that there is good adhesion. It's unfortunate when you find these issues as these are generally hid until you start to work on the bike. If taken care when first found, reduces the possibility of collateral damage. Looking forward to the final product.

Beautiful province. A trip up to Digby for scallops. or Cape Breton with a stop in Baddeck at the Telegraph House. Alexander Graham Bell used to frequent this place. The Dunlop's own it still (I think), knew some of the family. A trip around the Cabot Trail as well. If you're really adventurous head off the beaten track to Canso, nice little town.

Back to topic. Have been progressing. Repair to the left side bracket. It's covered up so not spending a lot of time on it. Here is the final pic:
Left side fairing bracket repair - final.jpg
Spending a bit more time prepping the side panel for paint. Will be visiting the paint shop tomorrow to find an acceptable colour.

There is some weather stripping that seals the side panel air ducts to the rad fan and air to the cockpit. It was a bit trashed so I installed some new stripping:This is the old:
Old Stripping.jpg
This is the new:
New stripping.jpg
Scraped off the old stripping, cleaned with rubbing alcohol, installed new. Should work better.

More to follow.

Since you are tearing apart the bike, have you checked your cruise and subair filters?

When I bought the 1500, had browsed the forums for recommended maintenance and issues - had a good idea what I wanted to do from the work on my 1200, but the 1500 is a different beast all round. Did what I think was a comprehensive initial maintenance package that included air, cruise, subair, and gas filters. I cut the gas filter in half and it was rather plugged. Progressive front fork springs, rear Progressive 416 shocks, new timing belts, spark plugs, fluid change all round - coolant, FD, clutch/brake - have since rebuilt the clutch slave. Lube rear splines, new u-joint boot, brake pads all round, new set when bought, new installed this week - brake pads are an inexpensive peace of mind issue. Thinking for next year install beefier front fork springs, the ones from Progressive are OEM replacements, better new than time/mileage expired. Beefier springs like the straight rate 1.1 or 1.2 from sonic would be good - will be looking into this. Came with a superbrace so front end was taken care of. The rear brake has always felt soft and not as good as I would expect. May have to look into rebuild of the rear MC - the bike is only 25 years old - go figure.

Thinking about wheel bearings. Some 175,000 Kms on the bike and 25 years so a renew may be in order for next year. I mention this because I just did the shocks all round on my 2011 KIA Soul. Talking to the suspension shops and all mentioned that OEM original shocks are good for approximately 125,000 Kms - there are 117,000 Kms on the car - and the ride was getting a bit harsh ergo new shocks. Can still feel the road more than I want, and with weak struts, the rest of the front suspension components take a hit as well. On my list for maintenance of the KIA - Rock Auto has good prices on suspension parts. Long winded rant - since the 1500 is the bike that we tour on at this point, can't hurt to do preventative maintenance - a little at a time. Trip this summer is going to be approximately 12,000 Kms cross Canada and back. Next year down through the US.

Taking care of the cosmetic issues now. Like having the parts as they should be.

Since I have been riding the V-Strom, very nice seating position, the 1500 seating position seems to be lacking a bit. Have had the seat and upholstery on my 1200 done by Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston WA, as well as the seat on the 1800 I owned. May take a trip to see him and have him dish up the seat on the 1500. Like being comfortable - next years project. Keeping the expenses on the 1500 down to a dull roar.

Cheers

Was given the news regarding the touch up I need to do with the 1500. The paint is pearl glacier white. Need to do a three part application, base coat, mid and clear. The paint shop is going to loan me an air brush so I can do the work. Will be touching up the affected area and "blending" the base and mid (gives the pearl look), then do the whole panel with the clear coat. Never done this before, looking forward to the challenge. The shop has a good panel and is putting the ingredients together for next week. Mentioned that when I come in to pick up will need to take notes as instructions.

Thankfully I have 3 bikes that all need some sort of maintenance/whatever.

Want to do some additional black painting on the V-Strom, hand guards and rear top case. Freshen these up to match the panniers I did.

The 1500 is coming to an end. Rear brakes to do. Left side panel has been repaired and a new securing tab added:
Left side panel installed with repairs done.jpg
Had to take a file to the wind deflector - see red arrow. This is to keep it away from the panel:
Left side panel with wind deflector installed.jpg
The left panel paint area is shown in this pic - the base and mid coat will be applied to this area - where the red squiggles are, then the complete panel will receive clear coat:
Left side panel paint area.jpg

Pick up the paint tomorrow. The paint guy is going to loan me a spray gun to apply the mid coat. The base and clear are rattle can.

We discussed spray guns. He has this one - like tools with a case:
Devilbiss 802342 Spray gun kit.jpg
Beat the Amazon price as well - $225.00 plus tax. Tempted because parts are available, and should only have to buy once. We looked at this set on line - $120.00:
Paint spray gun kit.jpg
He mentioned that parts can be an issue, but if kept clean should last for a while. Consideration.

Depending on the C-19 and how long everything is being shut down for - ruining good riding weather - the 1200 needs a lick and a promise as well. Have some maintenance items to attend to as well. Then it will be a decision as to what to ride - choices.

More to follow.

Okay - today was a painting day. First time using a spray gun and doing a three part paint job. Turned out pretty good for the first go at it. I am of the opinion that spraying clear coat from a gun is better than a spray can. Having mentioned this, next time know better - yes there will probably a next time.

Had two small guns in use. One with base coat, second had the mid pearl colour. The one I borrowed from my paint guy was quite good, but I felt my small one was better - personal preference I guess (and I own it). This is the one I borrowed:
Contractor spray gun.jpg
This is mine:
Devilbiss small spray gun.jpg
I was doing three pieces and having the two guns going was good because I got out of sync spraying and having the guns with different paints was a benefit.

The panel and side mirror trim pieces turned out quite good. Here are pics of the panel finished:
Left side panel corner painted.jpg
Left side panel corner painted 2.jpg
If the clear coat finish is not as smooth as I would like, I'm thinking a 1500 to 2000 grit sanding and use a spray gun, besides, it's a 25 year old bike - supposed to have some blemishes. On the list for a future project.

Even though this is my first venture into this world, pleased with the results and it is already 200 percent better than what I started with. mcgovern61 - Gerry - mentioned that he's done after he finishes the Slug, a lot of work if you are going to sell, peace of mind if you keep the bike as is my case.

1200, 1500 and then 2000 wet sand should give you the smoothness needed before compound and polish. My orange peel and blemishes were more due to being a rattle can paint job and too much dust in the air.

Took the panel into my paint guy and we looked at what I had done. Good colour match. He pointed out where I had applied more clear coat in places then others, and the finish reflected this. I think I was too cautious not wanting to have runs and such. We discussed the way ahead. He mentioned 1000 grit (dry) to knock the sheen off and give some roughness for adhesion. I mentioned using a 1500/2000 and he mentioned that finer is not always better. I mentioned this because I do not want to get into the mid coat (pearl). Since this is my first go at this, I will defer to his judgement. Worst case, back to square one, base, mid then more clear. I would do what Gerry has proposed, but not doing compound and polish - painting ABS.

I prepped the panel last night with 1000 grit and realize from using the 1000 grit that it would take me a long time to get through the old and recently applied clear coat. I will use a scotch pad today to finish, degrease with rubbing alcohol, then paint. Looking forward to seeing what the second round results are like. Bought a new respirator for this evolution. Had an old cheapy to use but the elastic straps are done, and probably can't get new filters.

My paint guy gave me a pint of clear (almost full but he had used some from it) but I had to pay for the activator. $28.00 for pint of clear coat and activator - good deal. He is also giving me the mixing buckets - not a lot of expense for these, but everything helps.

Nice day today so clear coating it is. Options are cleaning the roof of moss and debris from the winter, or bike work. More to follow.

This new work venture has had me looking into what would be needed for spray painting. I ordered a small air filter/moisture separator for the compressor. $20.00 CDN to the door:
air filter.jpg
Had good reviews, but will decide the worth as I do work.

Finished the new clear coat repaint. Better finish than with a spray can even though the spray can was a 2 part system - activator and content all in one can. Sanded with 1000 grit, rubbing alcohol to clean, then tack cloth. 4 new coats of clear and I was not as timid as the first time. No runs and the finish is about 80 to 85 percent of original. I'm going to let it cure and harden for a few weeks. Can use it on the bike during this time, after which I will make a decision on whether to go at it again or just leave alone. If I do it again maybe the best would be to do a 600 grit sand, new base, mid and clear. The nice thing about painting ABS is you can go at it more than once, and as I've researched - practice, practice, practice.