1988 GL1500 handlebar wobble at 35 mph.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_Charlton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1984 GL1200I
1988 GL1500
Took my hands of the bars at 35 and immediately got a severe wobble, the kind where you quickly put a death grip back on the bars. Smooth roads, good tires, proper inflation, only load was me, etc.

Time to check the stem bearings? Any thoughts on best way to check?

Thanks

The "Death Wobble' is typically caused by either bad stem bearings, or the tire. Get the front up off the ground, and see if there is play in the fork/wheel assembly. You're looking for movement in the steering head, where the bearings are. Also check for any roughness when turning the handlebars side to side. Too tight bearings can cause the wobble also. :builder:

Well there are many things that can cause this on a oldwing ....the way the motor runs causes sideways tension ..the shaft drive causes side push ..1200s dont track strait from the factory...probably to offset the shaft drive ... to me this is the.most important part of a bike and it's quite foolish how. Little put into this from makers ...

Up on centerstand, with a floor jack under front of engine, lift it up JUST ENOUGH for the tire to clear the floor. Lift up on the front wheel, and wiggle it side-to-side. If you feel ANY slop, the steering tube bearings need attention and adjustment.

A worn fork slider, or having one slider out of oil, or loose wheel bearing(s) will do it...

While the tire is up, rotate it slowly, and eyeball from the tire to the ground... make sure the tire is round...

Lower the jack, put trans in neutral, and wiggle the rear tire side-to-side... swingarm or wheel bearing slop? that'll do it too.

Incorrect fork oil level or a sacked-out or broken spring coil in one tube will do it, too. Loose triple-clamp fasteners can... I'd check all these things... and even a warped disc and sticky caliper...